Heavy duty rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I do decide to tow a RV at some point am I going to have to beef up the suspension even more?

For the suspension you would probably need the bags, and your trailer would use a weight-distribution hitch (WDH).

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
I ordered the Biltsteins to replace the current OEM shocks but I know that will not help with my sag when the back is loaded. Trying not to go the helper bag route, would replacing the coil springs help with carrying the load better and avoid rear sag? My 3 options are AC Delco variable rate, Moog constant rate or CargoMaxx variable rate. Trying not to change the height of the rear when empty.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all I ordered the Biltsteins, those air assist bags look interesting and are not that expensive. I’m probably only hauling about 500 pounds of gear in the rear so not sure I need them. Since the vehicle has the factory hitch I assumed it would be equipped to handle the extra weight. If I do decide to tow a RV at some point am I going to have to beef up the suspension even more?

You might want to do the math and make sure you are keeping things within design GVW. It sounds like with the rear loaded with all your gear, the tongue weight on your trailer might be putting you well over the line on your total payload.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Actually no trailer, just maybe around 500 lbs of gear tops on a roof rack, in the back and on a small cargo carrier attached to the trailer hitch. The rear sits about an inch or two lower hauling that and I’d like it to stay a bit more level so I’m not constantly flashed by people thinking I have my brights on

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
I guess what I'm most wondering are these Dayton CargoMaxx HD springs worth the $100 more than the AC Delco springs or presuming the rear springs are just worn will the AC Delco springs help handle the load better. This CargoMaxx line seems brand new and was the result of an acquisition they made, they are pretty much zero reviews on them on the internet. The description sounds good carrying 35% more load at stock height but is it worth the extra $100 over the AC Delco's.
CS1.PNG
CS2.PNG

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually no trailer, just maybe around 500 lbs of gear tops on a roof rack, in the back and on a small cargo carrier attached to the trailer hitch. The rear sits about an inch or two lower hauling that and I’d like it to stay a bit more level so I’m not constantly flashed by people thinking I have my brights on

Oh got it, not sure where I got the trailer thing in my head. 500 lbs definitely won't be taking you near max payload, unless you have a soccer team in the car as well.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
ha, yeah think I mentioned I might tow at some point, right now just trying to handle the load without towing. I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the CargoMaxx springs and see how it goes.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to make sense of what shocks I have ...I have the ZW7 premium suspension that supposedly includes Nivomat self leveling shocks in the rear. ...my other option codes are 6XU and 7XU whatever those mean.

You'll want to put Air Lift Springs, 60769 in your rear coils to keep her from sagging under the additional weight.

You do not have Nivomat shocks, those ended with the GMT-800s.

We have essentially the same vehicle an configuration and my rear shocks are 25871227/540-435 and the springs are 25783733/45H2164. 6XU and 7XU are the codes for your front shocks. My front shocks are 20765171/540-460. My front springs are 25876861/45H0427.

You can look up your front shocks here using those codes and your VIN:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
I'd rather not go the Air Lift route and just try and stiffen up the coils. If I bought new 45H2164 for the rear would that help over the current worn coils? The other option I was looking at was the Moog 81071 coils, I was going to try the 81069 HD coils but don't want the 2" lift that comes with those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk