Heavy duty rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erock7625

Reaction score
Trying to make sense of what shocks I have and my replacement options on my 2011 Yukon XL SLT. I've been reading through threads here and from what I understand I have the ZW7 premium suspension that supposedly includes Nivomat self leveling shocks in the rear. I do not have the Z55 option and my other option codes are 6XU and 7XU whatever those mean. I'd like to get a more heavy duty shock, my Yukon has the tow package and when I load it up with a roof rack, full back area and a rear cargo holder it rides low in back and tends to bottom out when going over big bumps.

What are my options for rear shocks? I don't really want to add any lift just something that will handle the load better, When I go to rockauto most of the heavy duty options from Gabriel, Monroe and Rancho all say except Z55 or ZW7 suspension. Also is there anything else worth replacing back there like the stabilizer bar links?

Thanks!

2021-01-02 09.31.53-small.png
2021-01-02 14.42.09-small.png

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2567366&cc=1446828&jsn=878&jsn=878 is what it calls for at RA. I looked thru all options and at least at RA it gives no other options with the ZW7 RPO code. It is a self leveling system, according to the RPO code definition and therefore if you load it, it should not be bottoming out unless whatever you are putting in there or on there is beyond the system's capabilities. May need to customize a helper set up. Others here will likely chime in with more info.

Also, any add on help that you can do like beefier sway bar and links, go for it. I just ordered a front and rear Hellwig system for mine because as @Doubeleive said, the bars are bigger and solid instead of hollow.

By the way, the 6XU is the left front shock identification and the 7XU is the right front.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, so that shock looks like the standard daily driver replacement. Is it actually self leveling though, the zw7 is supposed to be Nivomat self leveling shocks and that ac delco 540-631 is only $56 so I don’t think that is a Nivomat shock.

The ones on there look fairly old, it’s possible they are just worn and putting new ones on will help handle the load better. Would replacing it with the 540-630 z71 off road shock or 540-640 z56 police pkg shock be a better heavy duty option although that might require new springs to match.

Also plugging my VIN into Monroes website they show this shock as fitting my vehicle, would it be better than the AC Delco shock?

Reflex Monotube Shock 911506 Premium - Limited Lifetime Warranty; Except Electronic Adjustable Suspension;

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only reference I have is that ZW7 RPO code and that is why I put up that link. There will be other people here that can likely talk about the combination of shocks and maybe springs as well that will work fine. You also have to make the the shock mounts are the same and the shock length relatively close.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I assume your truck is a 1500. I may have missed it, RWD or 4WD?

As far as I can tell, the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride on the NNBS trucks does NOT use Nivomat shocks. That AC Delco replacement @PNW VietVet posted is clearly not Nivomat technology -- not at $55 -- and, from the pics, your shocks are also not Nivomat, but do look like OE to me. Doesn't look like you have many options, as I see that KYB doesn't make a compatible shock if my search was accurate.

You may need to upgrade the rear springs for a better load leveling experience. Others with NNBS suspension experience will chime in.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Thanks, so despite being a ZW7 they are basically standard shocks. It’s a 1500 XL SLT RWD. Looking at Rockauto it looks like I could replace them with the Rancho RS55262 or the Biltstein 24186834. Not sure the Rancho is better than the AC Delco one as its $46 vs $54, the Biltstein is $74.

BILSTEIN 24186834 {#25871234} B6 4600 Info
Rear; Without Air Leveling Suspension; Without Z55 Autoride Suspension Package

RANCHO RS55262 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} RS5000X Info
Rear; w/ 0" - 3/4" Rear RAISED Height; without Magnetic Ride Control; without Electronic Suspension

Rancho also shows this shock fits which is a better model:
https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS7262-RS7000MT-Monotube-Absorber/dp/B07JVBX7M1

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to the ac delco website and punch in your vincode and look for the oem replacement and try and find the originals, If you have the nivomat I would stick with them, I don't know of any equal out there, I had changed mine at one time and was pretty disappointed I was even more disappointed that I had already tossed my old shocks and had to fork out about $500 each for new oem ones

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With those being just a "standard" shock, anything will be an improvement over
worn out shock...The bilsteins are the bomb, KYB are very good too.
If you aren't needing to "improve" much over stock, then go with those..
The ranchos seem to fit better with off roading and when you need more
travel for specific situations....
The monroe OE Spectrum shocks suck... good for a year at best.

Like I said, a good quality OEM replacement shock will be your best best
and pretty easy on these to replace too !!!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I would install a set of load helper bags in the rear springs, that way you could air them up when you load the truck down with stuff and not be stuck with a stiff ride when unloaded.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60769/

Shocks aren't designed to carry weight, unless they are Nivomats, they are designed to control rebound.

A set of old school air shocks would also give you some extra weight carrying capacity.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
Thanks all I ordered the Biltsteins, those air assist bags look interesting and are not that expensive. I’m probably only hauling about 500 pounds of gear in the rear so not sure I need them. Since the vehicle has the factory hitch I assumed it would be equipped to handle the extra weight. If I do decide to tow a RV at some point am I going to have to beef up the suspension even more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts