Heavy Duty Rear Hatch Lift Struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This time of year with the cooler weather the struts are a little lazy. When it's warmer out, they lift just fine. Of course, this gets more pronounced the older they get.

GM OE for me.

I'm convinced that is the next step. GM needs the money, right?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my lift gate struts from that company before and they are fine, though I got the more expensive ones. However, I do see that they are slow in the winter. Keep in mind that if you get something that lifts really easily in the winter, you may have trouble closing the lift gate in the summer. It's all a balance.

On that site, they have some with greater lifting strength. The more expensive one has a lifting strength of 300 lbs wherease the Strongarm has a strength of 244 lbs. I see you have the Strongarm ones, so the other should do better. Perhaps you need a summer and winter lift supports?

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my lift gate struts from that company before and they are fine, though I got the more expensive ones. However, I do see that they are slow in the winter. Keep in mind that if you get something that lifts really easily in the winter, you may have trouble closing the lift gate in the summer. It's all a balance.

On that site, they have some with greater lifting strength. The more expensive one has a lifting strength of 300 lbs wherease the Strongarm has a strength of 244 lbs. I see you have the Strongarm ones, so the other should do better. Perhaps you need a summer and winter lift supports?

The origional GMs worked well in all seasons for about 10 years so I'll probably go back to GM for replacements. No need to make life complicated. The Strongarms can be replaced under warranty but why bother when they were a miss match from the start.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The origional GMs worked well in all seasons for about 10 years so I'll probably go back to GM for replacements. No need to make life complicated. The Strongarms can be replaced under warranty but why bother when they were a miss match from the start.
The gas mixture that the gas spring manufacturer uses is critical for cold weather operation. GM had to design for this. Others are probably rebranding someone else’s springs and not fully understanding the science behind them. I’ve spent a lot of time having to spec out gas springs for different applications and rated temperature range for operation is important.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas mixture that the gas spring manufacturer uses is critical for cold weather operation. GM had to design for this. Others are probably rebranding someone else’s springs and not fully understanding the science behind them. I’ve spent a lot of time having to spec out gas springs for different applications and rated temperature range for operation is important.

And don't get heavy duty struts for the back window! LOL. GM OE for me on those too but I ain't gonna wait fifteen years like them fellas who find their back window behind the truck in hundreds of pieces either!

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original GMs are being shipped. If they last 10 years again that's only 10 bucks a year. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, the oem GM replacements, not a pair but different struts for each side, work properly. It's cold out and it doesn't seem to phase them. Wasted money on two different aftermarket brands in the life of the truck and neither worked properly. We don't have the power liftgate and that door is Heavy so the struts are critical!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is always a reason that OE parts come on these rigs down the assembly line, they work. There is not always a better mouse trap and if cost is your only concern, there is a YUGO out there with your name on it somewhere.

Sergey A Rusakov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For anyone interested, the oem GM replacements, not a pair but different struts for each side, work properly. It's cold out and it doesn't seem to phase them. Wasted money on two different aftermarket brands in the life of the truck and neither worked properly. We don't have the power liftgate and that door is Heavy so the struts are critical!
Do you mind sharing oem GM replacement part numbers please ? I have bought a pair of ACDELCO 5101245 Professional and they fail in winter.
Previously tried Stabilus SG330076 and SG330077 pair and the same result: work great until freezing temperature.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts