Heater and Reservoir Hose - Special Tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a 3-way hose that connects to the water pump, coolant reservoir, and heater core at the firewall. The heater core end has a plastic fitting that appears to require a special tool (the other two are hose clamps). I can purchase this hose locally with or without the plastic end piece. Is there a special tool for this fitting?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On each side of where they slide on there are windows where you can see the clips heads that hold in place. Squeeze them and twist gently.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On each side of where they slide on there are windows where you can see the clips heads that hold in place. snap the thin plastic piece off with some pliers, then they might come off by pulling if not break more of the plastic off until it does.
fixed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 3-way hose that connects to the water pump, coolant reservoir, and heater core at the firewall. The heater core end has a plastic fitting that appears to require a special tool (the other two are hose clamps). I can purchase this hose locally with or without the plastic end piece. Is there a special tool for this fitting?

You can use the Lisle 22950 or 22960, don't know which is for ours yet. They are made to be released by hand though if memory serves.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you are trying to save the connectors for some reason, trust me save yourself the hassle and time and just break them tabs off turns a 2 hour job into a 5 minute job

OP
OP
Scotty54

Scotty54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That billet piece from Gruven looks great, but the cheap plastic tee has lasted 180k miles, so I'm okay with the factory part.

If I break the existing plastic connector, do I need the tool to install the new hose end? Or does it just slide into place?

O'Rielly has a Gates replacement assembly (tee plus the 3 hoses) with no plastic connector - just the open hose end. Can the heater core end accept a hose clamp (without slipping)?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have not supplied the year, make and model and engine size so i just looked my 2002 Tahoe up to get a heater core pic. The ends of the tubes are smooth and look to be designed for the clip style hose ends. There is no "nub" for a spot for a hose clamp to grab with.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

OP
OP
Scotty54

Scotty54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2006 Tahoe Z71 5.3 bone stock. Sorry about the missing info, and thanks for looking at your heater core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans