Heated seat help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timc9516

Reaction score
Ok so I know there's a lot of posts about the heated seats on here but there's one question I never see.

Hopefully it's a simple answer.

How do I test the heating elements to know if they are bad.

I've got both sides not working. The driverside turns off immediately and the passenger side turns off within about 5 to 10 sec. Then immediately after that first press. Also the drivers side is occasionally doing the possessed switch issue as well. So I don't have the money to dump on two elements to test both sides

Any help would be awesome.

Also I'm thinking about using this thread to collect tips and tricks for diagnosing the seats and then ethier posting everything I've done in this at the end or making a new thread with everything I've found and everything people recommended me.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
This is how i tested mine-you need to check the ohms on the wires.So raise your seat as hi as it will go,get an ohm meter and probe the connector- for the lower and upper at the connector.I would have someone sitting in the seat moving around-i had to do that when i found mine.Anything over 5 or 5.5 ohms its junk and needs replacing.Replacing the bottoms is easy the tops a little harder-and tops are more money.I cant stress the importance of pushing the seat or when someone is sitting in it to move around when testing-sometimes it wont show bad unless the burnt wires are touching.Thats how i fixed mine.I would not replace the heater element unless it shows high ohms-they are expensive to throw parts at it.Obviously test both seats upper and lower.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The possessed heater thing" sounds like a short at the driver's door module. The number one thing you see, especially with vehicles of our age, is that the unprotected circuit board gets a coating of dust. Then, when there's any moisture at all -- even high humidity (98 degrees in Texas, 100% humidity and I experienced it) -- you get a short. I've heard of people cleaning them, and or checking the boards fixing this issue. Other than your time, that might be a quick thing to try.

OP
OP
T

Timc9516

Reaction score
Ok guys so I have good news

I was doing some research and found this

Subject: Heated Seat Inoperative Or Shuts Off In 30 Seconds - keywords B1825 B2435 B2440 B3606 #PIT3287D - (10/02/2006)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Silverado Classic

2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic, Sierra Denali Classic

2003-2006 Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

2003-2007 Hummer H2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Driver and passenger heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds. There will be DTCs B2435, B2440, B3606 and/or B1825 set in the Drivers Seat Module. The adjustable pedal position sensor, seat recliner position sensor and both heat seat thermistors share the same 5 volt reference internal to the Drivers Seat Module. A fault in any of these components/circuits can make the heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds, as well as, the seat recliner and/or adjustment pedals may move in short increments when operated. A fault in heated seats, adjustable pedal or seat recliner will affect BOTH heated seats.

Note:: Even if the vehicle is not equipped with adjustable pedals DTC B3606 still may set.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To help isolate the area of concern use the Tech 2 and go to "Sensor Data" in the Drivers Seat Module. Monitor the following parameters for being out of range:

Recline Position- Normal range .39V-4.58V

Pedal Position (if equipped) - Normal range .39V-4.58V

Psgr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V

Drvr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V

If a parameter is found to be out of range inspect circuits for any opens, shorts to ground, or voltage. If none found replace the suspect component.

Please be aware of the following common areas of concern:

The adjustable pedal position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the adjustable pedal position sensor and see if the heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.

Note Important:: The APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor is NOT the adjustable pedal position sensor. Make sure the correct sensor, adjustable pedal position sensor, is disconnected.

The seat recliner position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the recliner position sensor and see if heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.

An open in either heated seat thermistor circuits (signal or low reference). The most common is the passenger thermistor where it passes through seat connector C305 pin "L" or "K" or C399 pins "R" or "G".

A chaff to ground on either heated seat thermistor signal circuits. The most common is circuit 5475 black/red or dark blue shorted to ground in the passenger seat near the buckle.

Note Important:: The heated seat thermistors act differently to "OPENS and SHORTS" than the adjustable pedal position sensor and seat recliner position sensor. The adjustable pedals and seat recliner sensors can be disconnected for testing of the heated seats. Where as the heated seat thermistor circuit must be working correctly before EITHER heated seat will operate. Disconnecting one thermistor, which may have a concern will not allow the opposite heated seat to work correctly, BOTH side must be operational before EITHER heated seat will operate.

Clearing DTCs

If DTCs will not clear when using the Tech 2 after a repair has been made, try operating the device in which the repair was made. Example, if a repair was made to the passenger heated seat thermistor circuit, the DTCs may not clear unless the passenger heated seat is operated.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

So I went to work and used our snap on scanner. To look at the data and it all seemed good. So I started looking through the scanner and I found that these trucks have a functional test for the heated seats. It allows you to bypass the safety features to a point and turn the heated seats on. I found that my driverside bottom and what seemed like half of the seat back wasn't heating up. I then tested the passenger heated seat and found that that bottom wasn't heating up but the back was so to me that seems like two bottom pads and one back pad. I know not all of us have access to a snap on scanner but I'm sure a shop wouldn't charge to much to do this for you.

So my question for you guys is what do you recommend for replacement pads. I found this set and it seems like a good set

https://www.carparts.com/details/GM...FNp5pBbRLecyJEK3zARoCqCoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys

Latest posts