Heat issues with hi-4 mod with HIDs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any issues with things getting too hot when running the hi 4 mod with HIDs in both the low beams and brights?

I'd really hate for my stuff to melt, but everyone around my area is on a budget and they only put the HIDs in for their low beams.

But I'm always told the HIDs put off a bit more heat. I just dont know how much is too much.

ERIC95TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HIDs put out less heat then a regular headlight bulb. i don't think you should have any issues running hi-4 with regular or HID bulbs i have never owned a hi-4 kit but have seen a few on a few trucks and they worked fine.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that 35w ballasts are ok, but DDM has a warning about small plastic housings melting with thier 55w kits.

When I did my reverse light HID conversion, the first time I used a different method and one of the bulbs shifted to the side. The bulb started to melt my new led housings. That was a 35w kit.

If your thinking of running a 55w kit, then maybe just stick with the lows for them.

Just make sure the bulbs aren't touching anything plastic and stick with 35w and you should be ok.

96YUKONGTS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the high 4 kit with HIDs in both lows and highs and have had them for over a year with no problems. Im using the 35 watt kits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia