Headliner Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex s

Reaction score
I'm getting there! Stripped old fabric off the headliner this evening. Couple questions:

1. It almost doesn't look clean, feels clean but doesn't look clean. There are dark streaks and lines all over the place. I tried to use a scotch bright to get it even cleaner. Is there a chemical wash I can use before putting the new fabric on?

2. I have some damaged corners. I had brought this up before, but is there a way repair some of these beat up corners?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ESecncxnlZf8xUltzKzvNe0hgfY7X3e9/view?usp=sharing

View attachment 255295 View attachment 255296 View attachment 255298

When I did the headliner in my suburban and in my truck, I cut pieces of cardboard in roughly the same shape as the damage and glued them on the backside of the headliner anywhere that the board was flimsy or broken. Not perfect but it firmed it back up a lot.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my results showed up in the pictures. This turned out to be one of those "nightmare jobs". I ended up saving $20 over what the guy quoted me to have it done at upholstery shop.

I practiced by doing my sunshade for the sun roof. Not even a comparable job. That was flat and relatively uniform surface. It turned out PEFECT.

The contours on the Tahoe headliner made it extremely difficult if not impossible. Additionally, manipulating that massive piece of fabric was nearly impossible without accidently making contact a time or two in places you never intended. If you are glutton for punishment and do decide to do yours, you'll need at least two people, maybe even three to help manipulate that fabric.

I also used a LOT of adhesive, probably too much. Everywhere it was pressed to stick it down now shows.

I painted my truck which was an EXTREMELY difficult and technical task. That said I'd paint it again any day. Once done I know know how it works.

As for doing a headliner of this size and shape? I'll never touch one again. Especially since materials were only slightly less than what the shop wanted to put it all together.

The prep work was definitely worth while though. Even the shop that quoted me said it would save me greatly to prep the piece than have it redone by them. Prepping was very managable. I even fixed the problem areas without any trouble.

At least from a distance the headliner looks okay haha

20200823_220031.jpg 20200823_220039.jpg 20200823_220047.jpg 20200823_195356.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my results showed up in the pictures. This turned out to be one of those "nightmare jobs". I ended up saving $20 over what the guy quoted me to have it done at upholstery shop.

I practiced by doing my sunshade for the sun roof. Not even a comparable job. That was flat and relatively uniform surface. It turned out PEFECT.

The contours on the Tahoe headliner made it extremely difficult if not impossible. Additionally, manipulating that massive piece of fabric was nearly impossible without accidently making contact a time or two in places you never intended. If you are glutton for punishment and do decide to do yours, you'll need at least two people, maybe even three to help manipulate that fabric.

I also used a LOT of adhesive, probably too much. Everywhere it was pressed to stick it down now shows.

I painted my truck which was an EXTREMELY difficult and technical task. That said I'd paint it again any day. Once done I know know how it works.

As for doing a headliner of this size and shape? I'll never touch one again. Especially since materials were only slightly less than what the shop wanted to put it all together.

The prep work was definitely worth while though. Even the shop that quoted me said it would save me greatly to prep the piece than have it redone by them. Prepping was very managable. I even fixed the problem areas without any trouble.

At least from a distance the headliner looks okay haha

View attachment 261292 View attachment 261293 View attachment 261294 View attachment 261295
Well put lol. I'd never want to redo mine myself. I've done single cab pickups that were a pita! I think I had mentioned that to you--about being careful with the headliner sticking to someplace you didn't want it and not being able to undo it. Def sux if you don't have an extra set of hands and a really long wide table to work on. Hopefully it won't fall once it starts to get hot. What adhesive did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum