Headlight Woes.... OR... my lights are CRAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have these and they are a huge improvement over OEM halogen. They are just crap. Hey provide no lighting at all.

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I reckon you are used to the new lighting standards. I'm older and do not care for those newer, brighter lights. Not necessary IMO. The lights of modern police cars are too bright, blinding to these old eyes and even our teenage drivers.

I reckon I just want to see the road.

This 1999 is the newest vehicle Ive owned. Im far from spoiled. See the pictures I posted ... There is literally no illumination

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect you got what you paid for, cheap Ebay Chinese aftermarket knock-off junk. I'd chalk it up to a "cheap" loss, find yourself a brand new set of new OEM GM Lights, you'll pay more, but get the quality you want. LMC Truck might be another option, and again they'll cost more but might likely be OEM.

You've probably noted just how cheaply made they are built in regards to the adjusters, and everything about them.

I know many such lights and housings come with Lamps-Bulbs included, they too are likely garbage. Again you get what you pay for. I've had good luck with PIAA Lamps on both low-high beams.

Were your stock lamp housings really that bad? Is it possible you might be able to clean these up with some varying grades of wet sand papers and compounds and polishes? Then coat them with a good Ceramic Coating such as Carpro CQuartz, or Carpro DLX. Regular Waxes and Sealants just won't last, and hazing-clouding will quickly return since you then likely removed any-all UV coatings that might've been left on the lenses.

Lastly, and while not much help when using low beams, but are the icing on the cake when needing your highs might be to install a Hi-4 Kit, thus when needing High Beams, all 4 Beams light, rather than just two. It makes a considerable difference on dark country roads.

I've always felt the stock lighting on these Tahoes were absolute shit to begin with, inadequate.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect you got what you paid for, cheap Ebay Chinese aftermarket knock-off junk. I'd chalk it up to a "cheap" loss, find yourself a brand new set of new OEM GM Lights, you'll pay more, but get the quality you want. LMC Truck might be another option, and again they'll cost more but might likely be OEM.

You've probably noted just how cheaply made they are built in regards to the adjusters, and everything about them.

I know many such lights and housings come with Lamps-Bulbs included, they too are likely garbage. Again you get what you pay for. I've had good luck with PIAA Lamps on both low-high beams.

Were your stock lamp housings really that bad? Is it possible you might be able to clean these up with some varying grades of wet sand papers and compounds and polishes? Then coat them with a good Ceramic Coating such as Carpro CQuartz, or Carpro DLX. Regular Waxes and Sealants just won't last, and hazing-clouding will quickly return since you then likely removed any-all UV coatings that might've been left on the lenses.

Lastly, and while not much help when using low beams, but are the icing on the cake when needing your highs might be to install a Hi-4 Kit, thus when needing High Beams, all 4 Beams light, rather than just two. It makes a considerable difference on dark country roads.

I've always felt the stock lighting on these Tahoes were absolute shit to begin with, inadequate.

I dont really care about cost... I wasnt trying to save a buck here...

More a case of not knowing what i dont know.
And these lights were pretty much all I could find.

So...

Considering factory lighting is crap...

What are my options, brand and style wise?

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, cost wasn't a factor, and that you initially thought you'd be fine with these new sets of housings.

I do believe your first thoughts in that no matter what Lamp you install in them, they just aren't going to do the job, that I'd agree something is not correct with the reflectors and the design.

I'd say something like this would be the way to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-150349...mzFdefkR:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!60612!US!-1

They sell both sides. You might get away with all the other existing lights in your kit if they behave OK, aren't fogging from leakage. Those other front lamps aren't really what lights up the road.

As for alignment, and rather than relying on how the lamps aim from only a few feet away in a garage and where the beams hit the wall, you'll need to get further back. I'll try to quickly find another tutorial in which you back further up, about 25' or so, and then adjust.

Last edited:

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched in vain for the particular youtube vid I wanted to show, but couldn't find it, sorry.

But how it said to proceed was this:

Find a large level parking lot with a smooth flat brick wall. (I once did this in back of a Walmart Supercenter one evening with my own Tahoe)

Pull up to the wall only mere inches from it and almost touching the wall, exactly square and straight and measure both sides to check both are the same distance, the distance between the headlights and wall must be the same. Insure you pulled up exactly straight in other words.

Turn on your lights. Take a piece of Blue Painter's Masking Tape the exact same length as the Headlight Housings, and place this piece of Tape at the very bottom of where you see the beams of light hit the wall on both right and left sides. Insure the Masking tape is exactly in the correct position left and right in relation to where the headlight housings are.

Now back up perfectly straight. Do not touch the steering wheel at all when you back up. Have a 50' Tape Measure and be at a distance of 25' or 30'. Check with the tape measure to insure your distance is correct on both sides.

Adjust only one light at a time, covering the other lamp with a beach or bath towel. Insure, just like before, that the brightest area of the beam is again just hitting above the piece of Masking Tape, and that the beam is centrated where the piece of Tape is.

Repeat for the other side. Of course then test. The process might need to be repeated, and some slight further adjustments made.

Hope this helps.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched in vain for the particular youtube vid I wanted to show, but couldn't find it, sorry.

Find a large level parking lot with a smooth flat brick wall. (I once did this in back of a Walmart Supercenter one evening with my own Tahoe)

Pull up to the wall only mere inches from it and almost touching the wall, exactly square and straight and measure both sides to check both are the same distance, the distance between the headlights and wall must be the same. Insure you pulled up exactly straight in other words.

Turn on your lights. Take a piece of Blue Painter's Masking Tape the exact same length as the Headlight Housings, and place this piece of Tape at the very bottom of where you see the beams of light hit the wall on both right and left sides. Insure the Masking tape is exactly in the correct position left and right in relation to where the headlight housings are.

Now back up perfectly straight. Do not touch the steering wheel at all when you back up. Have a 50' Tape Measure and be at a distance of 25' or 30'. Check with the tape measure to insure your distance is correct on both sides.

Adjust only one light at a time, covering the other lamp with a beach or bath towel. Insure, just like before, that the brightest area of the beam is again just hitting above the piece of Masking Tape, and that the beam is centrated where the piece of Tape is.

Repeat for the other side. Of course then test. The process might need to be repeated, and some slight further adjustments made.

Hope this helps.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Adjust only one light at a time, covering the other lamp with a beach or bath towel. Insure, just like before, that the brightest area of the beam is again just hitting above the piece of Masking Tape, and that the beam is centered where the piece of Tape is.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC