Headlight/DRL Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that on my Tahoe when I turn the headlights on, the DRLs turn off. Is this right? I think the headlights are on the inside, and the DRls on the outside of the headlamp assembly.

In the manual I thought it read that with the headlights on, the DRLs stay on, but dim or something like that.

Is this working normal? Thinking back, I thought my other Tahoe used to have all 4 lights on, but can't recall 100%

OP
OP
k gee

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, when I switch to highs, it switches the outside bulbs(or possibly inside) but it def. uses the same bulb (9006?) as a low/hi and the DRLs probably use 9004 or 9005.

I hope this thing isn't wired wrong. At least it all works.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the drl is the low beam. 9006. if you want to get rid of it and have a normal headlight relay, just pull the fuse.

OP
OP
k gee

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the drl is the low beam. 9006. if you want to get rid of it and have a normal headlight relay, just pull the fuse.

On your pic, are all 4 lights on top lit?

Because I can't get all 4 on mine. When I hit the highbeam with the switch fully clockwise (pointed towards top) it keeps the same bulb on, but puts the pattern a bit higher.

So with you all saying it's a diff. bulb is contradicting what my Tahoe is actually doing. Like I said it lights work, but it seems weird.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what should happen is this :

car on = DRL which is the outer bulbs, which is also the low beam (bulb 9006)

headlight switch cranked to the right (pointing at 12 o' clock for me) = low beams, which is the same lights as your DRLs, only the tailights and amber parking lights are engaged now as well

click the turn signal/windshield wiper lever toward you = high beams which are the inner bulbs (bulb 9005 i believe)

never do all 4 bulbs engage unless you've modified it. that's how it should be anyways from the factory, anything different would probably be a modification or problem depending on what was done or what the goal was.

have a friend help you inside the car while you see what's going on outside.

OP
OP
k gee

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I must of been on one....but I double checked last night and everything works. Probably helped that my girl worked the switches. lol

Thanks, ordered 55W 8000k HIDs today.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your pic, are all 4 lights on top lit?

Because I can't get all 4 on mine. When I hit the highbeam with the switch fully clockwise (pointed towards top) it keeps the same bulb on, but puts the pattern a bit higher.

So with you all saying it's a diff. bulb is contradicting what my Tahoe is actually doing. Like I said it lights work, but it seems weird.

no, those are hids, theyre really bright thats why it looks like theyre all four lit. if you buy the high 4 relay you can have all four on with no problem, otherwise, if you hit the high beam the lows turn off and your highs come on.

young_2010_chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would get 10k thats wat i have i like them alot better 9006 is ur lows highs are 9005

OP
OP
k gee

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4300k is the best list...I got 8k because I ordered 55w, which should put it at about 6k or a tad lower. They didn't have 7k, and I didn't want 6k(4k too low)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA