Headlight Condensation 2018 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atrex21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon Denali that is now experiencing condensation inside the Driver's side headlight assembly. I had this same issue with my old 2011 Yukon Denali and I'm frustrated and disappointed that it is happening again on an $80k vehicle.

The GMC dealer quoted me nearly $2000 to replace this part, and GM "generously" offered $200 towards the fix, which is laughable. Considering the problem is not new and was not caused by me, you can imagine my reaction.

As difficult as the 2011 headlight was to replace, I did find a donor headlight assembly and removed/installed it myself. But on the 2018, it looks like an incredibly painful and laborious undertaking, not to mention the cost of even a used headlight is pretty high.

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

jets

Reaction score
It just means the seal around the clear lense is not airtight. Remove it, clean it and apply a bead of butyl rubber sealant. Just make sure the inside is dried out first. Maybe the cap covering access to the bulbs is loose?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had luck in the past with the 2007-14 models by drilling a very small hole at the bottom by the seam. Not noticeable at all, but it let the moisture out and was good for years.

OP
OP
A

atrex21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It just means the seal around the clear lense is not airtight. Remove it, clean it and apply a bead of butyl rubber sealant. Just make sure the inside is dried out first. Maybe the cap covering access to the bulbs is loose?
You make it sound so easy, which it is not. I'm pretty handy, but I don't have the time or energy to take off not only the engine shroud, but the whole front clip in order to access this light.

I've already watched several YouTube videos and it is a major pain for something that shouldn't be happening in the first place- especially on the fourth model year of a very expensive truck where the issue was prominent in the last generation.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how easy all that comes off. It's a lot of bolts and quickclips, but with some finesse, it usually can be done without disassembling everything.

jets

Reaction score
You make it sound so easy, which it is not. I'm pretty handy, but I don't have the time or energy to take off not only the engine shroud, but the whole front clip in order to access this light.

It is what it is and looks more intimidating than it seems.

I've already watched several YouTube videos and it is a major pain for something that shouldn't be happening in the first place- especially on the fourth model year of a very expensive truck where the issue was prominent in the last generation.

Eh, that's not really an argument. Fact is there is an issue and that's a part of vehicle ownership. You can either trade your time to solve the issue or trade money for it to be replaced. I shouldn't have to do dishes but guess what I do almost every night?

tuckerrnr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You over filled your blinker fluid reservoir. Being more serious, I left the dust cover off of my wife's car overnight while working on upgrading the headlight bulbs in humid south Florida. Next morning it looked like some kids terrarium project for a science fair. I had good luck getting the condensation out by using a shop vac with the hose on the vac exhaust blowing directly into the head light housing for about an hour in the sun.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son bought a used 2015 Yukon Denali that had condensation in all headlights & tail lights. He went aftermarket headlights & took us about an hour to replace all 4 lights. The front clip does have to come off but only took a few minutes to get off.

OP
OP
A

atrex21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Next question. Because I'm getting a signal failure notification/fast blinking (The DRL and turn signal don't work properly anymore because of the condensation), is the headlight assembly worth fixing, or are the drl and turn signal toast?

Before I spend the money to order an new/used light assembly, I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar