Has my truck been lowered?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshuasvt

Reaction score
image.jpg I'm under the truck, changing it the evap canister and I'm curious if the rear has been lowered. I've never lowered a truck so I'm not familiar. It does sit low and I was assuming its due to the factory shocks being old af...
I pulled the air ride off my Yukon in the past but I don't remember seeing these J shaped brackets.
Are these factory or has this been dropped? What do you guys think? I bought this truck used after my Yukon was totaled last fall.
2005 Tahoe

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are definitely shock extenders and I'm sure they're McGaughy's. They are used to restore 3" of shock travel when lowered. So, your Tahoe has been lowered about 3" or WAS lowered and someone left the extenders. Can you post a side shot of your Tahoe and/or of the rear coils?

BTW, aside from the Auto-leveling stuff and air shocks, shocks don't lift or lower a vehicle. So, them being "old af" wouldn't lower it. Your Tahoe is lowered.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup- it's lowered. It looks like just the back was lowered in an attempt for it to sit level, but 3" was a bit too much. I doubt the front was lowered any, unless it has drop spindles and cranked UP torsion bars. You can de-crank the torsion bars a little to bring the front down so it's level or slightly raked. Or, if you're ok with it being lowered but don't want it sagging in the back and don't wanna mess with your front end, you can add a spacer to the rear lift it back up a little. Or, remove the drop coils altogether. I'm sure you'd have no problem finding someone to trade you their stock coils for your drop coils and extenders.

OP
OP
Joshuasvt

Joshuasvt

Reaction score
Bilstein 5100's showed up on my doorstep today, along with a set of Moog 81069 springs. I have coil spacers and new keys that I was planning to use on my Yukon...but I can use them here too. I like how the Tahoe sits now but I need to be able to tow, and I cannot tow what I need to tow with a low hoe ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE