Has anyone experienced this engine noise '21 or '22?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JameyLev

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been following all of these posts. I have a 2021 Escalade sport with the exact same issue. I am not hearing between gear shifts yet, service is worthless, the cold start is bothering me the most right now. I think i am going to try and have someone clamp open the flapper. Definitely need some help on this!

Ferrari_220

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After research, it seems a lot of customers ('21 and '22s) have this engine noise without resolution from GM service. This noise is usually isolated to automatic drive, but isn't present when using manual shifting. I've resorted to the latter in regular traffic as the noise while in automatic can be a head turner. I've attached a video link of the engine noise someone else posted on youtube. Have any of you experienced this noise? If so, what was this issue? Was the issue resolved?

My 2021 Escalade esv dose the same noise did you find a fix yet. Its made the same noise since new and still after 43k miles

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentleman,

I have 2023 6.2 Tahoe.

It suffers from the GM 6.2 Squeal Chirp.

It squeals when stopping at 14 miles per hours (this one can be cancelled by driving in L9 to deactivate the DFM).

It squeals during every gear shift (regardless of L9). Although very faint.

It squeals when accelerating from the mid 30's to mid 40's (regardless of L9)

It squeals when cruising on the highway in the low 70's (regardless of L9).

Have any you that have the squealing/chirp experienced it when cruising gentle around 39-40 mph and moderately accelerate back up to 45-48 mph. This happens in D or L9 so it's not a part of the DFM.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
After further investigation, it appears the squealing from when accelerating from 39 to 45 and the squealing when cruising around the 70mph range is coming from the exhaust flapper valve. I can duplicate it in my driveway and make it go away by forcing the flapper valve open. I may have to fight this until they replace the OEM exhaust. What I don't understand is why is it still happening in L9 mode with the DFM off. Does the flapper still stay slightly closed when just cruising on a gentle throttle?

For the other squeals...

The chirping/squeal when cracking at the 14 mph range, and the auto/stop start, and the chirping/squealing startup is related to the DFM and spark retard per the bulletin.

I can eliminate the the Auto Stop start and braking squeal by driving in L9 and disabling DFM.

I really thought Escalades didn't have the issue since they have more insulation than the Tahoe and Yukon, but yesterday I was at a light and an Escalade came to a stop next to me and I clearly heard the squeaking. Then on the way home, I was riding next to another Escalade and opened my passenger side window and stayed beside them and when they came to stop, there it was again. Sucks.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The flapper nouse can be taken care of if you dont mind getting under your ride for a few minutes. Do a youtube search flapper disable. There are different ways to block it open so you can find something in your wheelhouse. I did it to mine within a couple days of oicking it up. I dont have any odd drone either with it forced open.

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The flapper nouse can be taken care of if you dont mind getting under your ride for a few minutes. Do a youtube search flapper disable. There are different ways to block it open so you can find something in your wheelhouse. I did it to mine within a couple days of oicking it up. I dont have any odd drone either with it forced open.
Is yours a 6.2?

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No its the 5.3. i think the process for the flapper mod is the same, the flapper may be in different locations on engine size exhaust setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon