Repeated intermittent clicking noise from around transmission area when shift from all other gears to "Park"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

diy_sang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate your feedback to my troubleshooting, but that was just a demonstration of the noise that's coming from the transmission. I don't ever shift gears in any car while it's moving forward/reverse until a complete stop. The video I posted was to diagnose if the grinding sound was coming from either the shafts, transfer case or transmission. When you said getting the tranny to stop movement, I'm assuming the transfer case along with the driveshaft and axle helps the output shaft from moving thus am able to put the gears in Park correctly.

The noise initially was there when the car still had the transfer case and all driveshaft attached.

I've checked the lines (shift linkage) running from below the shift lever inside the vehicle and down underneath the car up to the transmission, it doesn't look worn out or split in any possible areas.
The brackets holding the linkage is firm and not in any way moving.

I've included images and videos to show what I am seeing.

20220203_121725.jpg
20220203_121827.jpg

If there isn't any other ideas, I will try and put together all the parts back together and again diagnose once more.
If the issue is still there, then my last resort would completely take out the transmission and throw in a new one.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"When you said getting the tranny to stop movement, I'm assuming the transfer case along with the driveshaft and axle helps the output shaft from moving thus am able to put the gears in Park correctly."

Kind of. When all is put back together, the vehicles weight is loaded onto the tranny's rotational force via the rear axle, tires, driveshaft and Tcase. So as you are coming to a stop in your driveway and get to a complete stop and then start to move your shifter into park the transmission is no longer rotating internally at the input drum.

Your shift cable positioning and adjustment along with operation in the videos, all looked ok.

This came from your first post.... "He was driving to work one day and right before he got there, the car was making a grinding noise.".

So the noise wasnt just there while going into park. That is a clue for me along with the noise in your video. My internet diagnosis is that the sunshell has stripped its splines OR busted its weld around its hub, possibly even the planetary is dying. Soon that tranny will have no gears and will not move its output shaft. See any shineys in the pan when you dropped it? The silver colored kind?

Last edited: