Has anyone converted back to straight gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
It just completely quit moving

So the truck Was and is gasoline powered backup supple, or is it all electric, so the gas engine only does the generator ? it only moves when and if the electric motor runs ? If it is a General Motors installed power-plant, would'n Chevrolet be the place to find out what a motor is available? and have you tried to find out what the electricity problem ? but you drove it home and it was working then right ?It's a kinda strange that a vehicle like that would be all electric, at least to me !

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the truck Was and is gasoline powered backup supple, or is it all electric, so the gas engine only does the generator ? it only moves when and if the electric motor runs ? If it is a General Motors installed power-plant, would'n Chevrolet be the place to find out what a motor is available? and have you tried to find out what the electricity problem ? but you drove it home and it was working then right ?It's a kinda strange that a vehicle like that would be all electric, at least to me !
it runs off the ice or EV mode (limitations APPLY)

only the reverse gear runs off the electric motor

one of the reasons you don't back up a 6,000 pound load up a hill with it.. as it will blow the tras.

it has a lot of power too you can get upto speed in reverse lets just say GM forgot to put in a limiter. :eek: like tesla did

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the differential fluid in mine when I bought it with approx 195 now at 226k it has some slight grey color but I did not see metal flakes much. I have a loud roar that I think is coming from the rear end but the Nitto Grapplers sre so loud that it is hard to tell.
I had an old 1997 Silverado and the rear end ground to a halt at 235k. A gentlemen that works afor a dealership but does side work at this home garage rebuilt it for me for 350 bones.(no warranty of course) Ran good for another 50k before I sold it. That was several years ago so not sure if he is still around but betting their is someone that could fix you up for a reasonable price if you ask around.
I understand that setting the gears up correctly takes some experience and special tools, I do not care to become an expert in that.

I am taking a break from working on my mothers 2002 Cadillac (fixing to be an actuator expert now I think sigh) the hvac mode actuator went out and man that is a real PITA to get to. i am laying upside down in the seat with my head down in the footwell trying to get to the actuator bolts. I pulled it off and plastic parts flew everywhere it control 3 different doors and each ne has little plastic arms with pins, they run in a grooved plastic plate. Dangest thing I ever seen, I may not ever get this put back together and now I find the website warning to be sure to place the hvac controls in vent position before taking anything lose so the arms line back up. Awwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh got to love car repairs.......

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the differential fluid in mine when I bought it with approx 195 now at 226k it has some slight grey color but I did not see metal flakes much. I have a loud roar that I think is coming from the rear end but the Nitto Grapplers sre so loud that it is hard to tell.
I had an old 1997 Silverado and the rear end ground to a halt at 235k. A gentlemen that works afor a dealership but does side work at this home garage rebuilt it for me for 350 bones.(no warranty of course) Ran good for another 50k before I sold it. That was several years ago so not sure if he is still around but betting their is someone that could fix you up for a reasonable price if you ask around.
I understand that setting the gears up correctly takes some experience and special tools, I do not care to become an expert in that.

I am taking a break from working on my mothers 2002 Cadillac (fixing to be an actuator expert now I think sigh) the hvac mode actuator went out and man that is a real PITA to get to. i am laying upside down in the seat with my head down in the footwell trying to get to the actuator bolts. I pulled it off and plastic parts flew everywhere it control 3 different doors and each ne has little plastic arms with pins, they run in a grooved plastic plate. Dangest thing I ever seen, I may not ever get this put back together and now I find the website warning to be sure to place the hvac controls in vent position before taking anything lose so the arms line back up. Awwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh got to love car repairs.......
the hardest part to get to on these is the engine air box ( last screw is the hardest to get to..next to the inverter) but i have taken it off so many times i can swap a filter in about 10min there is also access to the passenger side head lamp once the filter box is off..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh