Hardwiring issues - ignition switched 12v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm too fat and lazy to mess with the short harness behind the rearview mirror or dig under the driver's side dash. I just ran a wire from my detector inside the leading edge of the headliner, down the "A" pillar and into the passenger side of the dash. Popped off the cover panel and tapped into a switched source.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the pink wire #6 in the upper left hand corner white colored plug harness

184784-05c326daf41167de4473bb5f05a5bcce.jpg

This is what I did today

OP
OP
Chuck_Finley

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd share photos of the final install in case anyone is interested:

B4qxRwz.jpg

PSGRQeR.jpg

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys great advice, my brother and I got it done using a long blade fuse tap we managed to jam in a switched pin. Copper grounding box to the left of the relay panel worked well, seems the aluminum bolts above by the driver door panel aren’t grounded. I’m in business!

Also put the rainguards in today:

View attachment 189309
Those are nice. Which are they?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Justin Hawkins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just ran a wire from my detector inside the leading edge of the headliner, down the "A" pillar and into the passenger side of the dash. Popped off the cover panel and tapped into a switched source.

Which one? Can you take a photo or explain a bit more clearly?

OP
OP
Chuck_Finley

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You’ll need to probe the pins with a multimeter to find one but try the pink #6 first. There is a copper grounding point to the left of the relay box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'll have to post a pic this evening when the Tahoe and I are back home. I don't recall the colors of the wires I tapped. For the routing detail, I ran a phone cord because that's the type of connector for my radar detector's power plug. The cord is flat, so it easily tucked into the front edge of the headliner. I unbolted and removed the A-pillar trim and routed the wire down the A-pillar, following an existing wire harness. There's a gap where the A-pillar meets the dash, so the wire went through there which put it where the main plugs/connectors are on the right side of the dash, behind that removable cover. It's all concealed and out of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec