Hardwiring issues - ignition switched 12v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I went to hardwire my radar and dashcam today, I grounded them to the middle bolt in the driver side fuse panel and ran a jumper wire to the engine bay fuse box slot 45 to test it. I wasn't getting any power with the key, is there a better ground location? Any other advice appreciated.

DexzQ3s.jpg

4VHSmct.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and my dashcam I mounted to the window with a mount with doublesided 3m and ran the power from the interface down by your feet to the left a bit with the plastic cover on it

dashcam.jpg

OP
OP
Chuck_Finley

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting, is the place you tapped next to the brake pedal ignition switched? Can you clarify which wire you tapped? Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting, is the place you tapped next to the brake pedal ignition switched? Can you clarify which wire you tapped? Thanks!
yes it is switched I taped 2 places there, one for a LED interior strip to come on with interior lights and the other to power the dashcam when the ignition is on, it was a pain to figure the right one, I can get back under there tomorrow in the day light and see if can get a better picture and color identity.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grabbed these off google.......

This is similar to whats under your dash, left of brake pedal
3937C947-3912-40CA-BFAD-8F317EEFFA4C.jpeg

Uncovered
2D8C7B0B-A5BD-4C56-A4B0-3DB9785F06F8.gif

Open ports, each port has 12v constant, switched, accessory, rap(retained accessory power..... until u open driver door), etc. This is where certain options plug in and where upfitters use for power and such, you may have an extra plug but no matter all the pins are same on each port. A female spade connector will push right on.
E1DAD8C9-6A39-4B83-A16B-C260BFDDAC10.jpeg

I used to have a diagram what each pin was but i cant find it. If i find it ill post it. Easy enough to figurebout with a test light though. Good luck

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grabbed these off google.......

This is similar to whats under your dash, left of brake pedal
View attachment 189291

Uncovered
View attachment 189290

Open ports, each port has 12v constant, switched, accessory, rap(retained accessory power..... until u open driver door), etc. This is where certain options plug in and where upfitters use for power and such, you may have an extra plug but no matter all the pins are same on each port. A female spade connector will push right on.
View attachment 189289

I used to have a diagram what each pin was but i cant find it. If i find it ill post it. Easy enough to figurebout with a test light though. Good luck
I used the same upfitter port to hard wire my GPS and dash mounted cell phone charger. If memory serves the ignition controlled 12v pin is fused at 20 amps so I put an in line 3amp fuse to each of my accessories.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as you can see from the other pictures posted the wire colors can vary from model or year, but if what the other person stated is true then it should be the same #6 on all of the ones on the left and then #3 on the right, but I haven't tested that theory.

OP
OP
Chuck_Finley

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys great advice, my brother and I got it done using a long blade fuse tap we managed to jam in a switched pin. Copper grounding box to the left of the relay panel worked well, seems the aluminum bolts above by the driver door panel aren’t grounded. I’m in business!

Also put the rainguards in today:

DADAC573-F244-4402-9CC1-23ADBB75E9CA.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons