Had an interesting night with the Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my buddy and I were in the mood to go shooting at the local trails/hunting grounds up in NH around where he lives. He just got a new scope for his Colt AR-15 A3 and it needed to be sighted in so we brought that, a generous amount of ammo, and the modified S&W AR-15 for ***** and gigs.

The place we go to is a park-and-walk kind of deal. You park your vehicle on the side of the road by the closed gate and you walk down the trails to this big clearing about maybe a half mile into the woods where people go and shoot. The trails are wide, wide enough for trucks to go through (wildlife fish and game go through their now and again and everyone drives quads around the trails). Anyway, the walk is kind of a pain in the ass, plus their is this obnoxious body of water just before the clearing that is almost knee deep that you have to walk through to get there.

Well anyway, long story short there IS another entrance to these trails and there is another way to get to the clearing from this other entrance. One time my friend went with other friends and some guy I guess drove a Ford Ranger right up to the clearing and he said he got there from the other end of the trails.

...So myself, my friend, and the Denali went 'a trailblazin' today.

3802736323_5bff01423e_o.jpg

3803551608_e036881ba5_o.jpg

3803551950_d0acc70c3d_o.jpg

Here is is when we finally got back to my buddy's house just before we hosed her down. The mud all dried on there.

3802737407_b5b8a69bc3_o.jpg

And here's the A3 just after we sighted it in. We managed to find a suitable spot to stop, set up some tagets, and fire a few.

3802735895_9ac7ed2d9b_o.jpg

I thought this truck would pretty much never see anything besides pavement aside from my dirt drievway, parking on someone's lawn, or some snow. Then today we were just exploring and things got pretty messy. I mean look at the thing... I didn't just drive through a few puddles... the Denali was straight up mudding, rock climbing, and sand crawling. I got a few scratches I have to buff out from big rocks and branches, but it was all in good fun.

After tonight I have to say officially: my 2003 Yukon Denali ******* rocks. I am so glad I bought this thing now that I know just what it is capable of. It's like the pretty princess luxury SUV just rolled up it's sleeves, picked up it's skirt, and revealed it's inner beast tonight. I drove through soupy mud up to my running boards and almost got stuck twice, but the AWD and 360 Ft. lbs. got me out. I scaled a sandy hill with a 40% grade and huge friggin' rocks all over it and the thing didn't slip or budge even a bit while it flexed and the 4-wheel discs held it still in every akward position I put it in.

I doubt I will ever do this again with this truck... but boy was it fun and very very impressive with how well it performed.

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a story about shooting assault rifles out in the woods and four-wheelin' with a luxury SUV doesn't even get one comment? Sheesh tough crowd. =P

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally would not put my truck thru that type of abuse but that's just me. Some would post up negatively to you mudding up that "luxury SUV" so maybe they're just keeping it civil..

DallasD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Blizzard its still a SUV they have to get dirty every now and then. Keeps them honest so they don't forget where they came from.

On a side note bad ass gun wish I could afford one or two. Keep it up!!!

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha okay I am officially owned. That is one muddy Denali haha, awesome man.

Also, the gun is not mine, sadly, it's my buddy's. I will definitely buy a few down the road, but I have way too many other hobbies that I am also funding at the moment.

I took my valance off yesterday, sanded it, and repainted. It had a bunch of little dings, dents, and scratches in it, so it needed to be done. The Dupli-color GM Truck/SUV Pewter Metallic paint was a very very wonderful color match, so I'm pretty impressed with how it turned out, but I need to pull it off again this weekend, wet-stand it, and slap on a few more coats of clear. It isn't glossy like the rest of the truck... but honestly it's really hard to tell. I can tell because it's my truck and it's my work so I notice it, but everyone I havfe shown it to was impressed. I suck at auto-paint haha.

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha okay I am officially owned. That is one muddy Denali haha, awesome man.

hah...Im just kiddin man, Im not tryin to One-Up ya or anything...just lettin ya know it IS ok to let our trucks get dirty once in a while... :)

main thing is, you had fun....thats all that counts...whether it be from the range, or the path to get there :)

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I doubt I will put the denali through THAT much offroad abuse again, it was very very fun and I don't regret a second of it. I did more rock-crawling than anything on the excursion. I'm just happy my running boards and valance made it out okay. I got only one maybe two scratches that I need to buff out or touch up, but aside from that the truck looks mint not counting the dents on my hood I discovered a couple weeks ago >=X.

Thanks for the encouragement haha. I do wish I had my '95 Tahoe out there that night instead, though. I would have definitely been less apprehensive, although I honestly think the Denali was more capable of doing all the work, aside from the ground clearance (which obviously didn't seem to hinder it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne