Guess What’s In My Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like oil to me. FYI you can cut the end tanks off the radiator if you’re replacing it anyway and inspect the in-radiator oil and transmission coolers to see if they failed. This is the reason some transmission builders won’t warranty their transmissions unless that cooler is bypassed and the only cooler is external. Coolant in your trans will destroy it quickly so hopefully that one isn’t leaking, if you have an internal trans cooler. It’s also the reason I replaced my stock radiator at 150k with a new OEM one. You didn’t mention how many miles are on yours. Follow others suggestions as to draining flushing and filling oil and coolant if you determine that’s indeed what it is. Unless it’s a mix of Dexcool and green antifreeze, you have no recourse at the dealership. It doesn’t look like that to me.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I wrote last week with questions just before I would replaced my radiator. I noticed that the coolant I saw leeking was green despite coming from factory with DexCool. I had this car since new and it was NEVER SERVICED EXCEPT AT MY DEALERSHIP. Six months ago I had a leaking hose that goes to the radiator that the dealership replaced and topped off the cooling system according to the receipt I don’t know if the coolant was bastardized at this time, or at several other times that I have brought it to the dealership. But it was never serviced any place else.Tonight I took. A good look in the tank and saw a brown and green fluid mix. The truck has a heavy duty cooling system with the oil cooler built into the radiator. See attached picture. Now, is this engine oil or the mixture of DexCool and green antifreeze. Can it be anything else? I am sure I have no recourse with the dealership as they will just deny that they were the ones that did this. What should I do next ? thank you guys in advance for the help.
I want to add that this has never caused me to have any overheating problems with the coolant being in this condition. The car has no issues except a leaking radiator. I have no idea how long this issue has been going on.

What did you end up finding out?
Radiator cooler failure?
Was the tranny oil in good condition?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you end up finding out?
Radiator cooler failure?
Was the tranny oil in good condition?
I found another thread he started. Not good news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt