Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was out to get dinner and run errands last night with the windows down to enjoy the cool air. Got to the restaurant and my window wouldn't go up. Motor would try but glass was stuck about 3/8" up. I recalled hearing and dismissed an odd noise when I first put it down. Ended up borrowing tools in an O'Reilly's parking lot to pop off the door panel and push the window up while my youngest one pulled up on the switch:

IMG_1437.JPG

Pulled the regulator this morning to investigate. I used some suction cups on the glass along the outside window sweep to hold the window up while the regulator was out. Found a cable had frayed and wadded itself up on the drum inside the housing. Out of the three (I think that's how many I counted) cables, this one was the only one that didn't go in a nylon sheath. I decided I had nothing to lose by trying to fix it with what I had on hand. I had a roll of 1/16" galvanized cable, which is a little bigger than the original, but looked close enough to give it a shot:

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

Drilled a 1/16" hole straight through a 5/16" bolt:

IMG_1452.JPG

Then chucked it up in a drill to spin it while I turned it down with a grinder, checking it with a digital micrometer, until it matched the original cable bead/spring seat:

IMG_1448.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting there:

IMG_1451.JPG

Closer yet... :

IMG_1453.JPG

Good enough for me:

IMG_1454.JPG

Used a chunk of steel with a 1/16" hole through it to act as a cable bead:

IMG_1455.JPG

Spring fits like it should and the whole thing compresses inside a cylindrical hole:

IMG_1456.JPG

Didn't take any more pics, but all that was left was to make a cable bead for the other end at the same distance as the original. I drilled a 1/16" hole in a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum flat stock, cut it out and ground it down to a size that would fit into the hole on the cable drum. After routing the cable around a pulley, wrapping it around the drum four times (I counted before I took the old one off) and locking the other end into the notch on the drum, I greased the hell out of inside of the housing and closed it back up. I reattached the motor drive to the guide to finish reassembly.

I liberally greased everything that moved or slid and tested it with a 12V power supply. It seemed to operate quietly and smoothly so I reinstalled the regulator and door panel. Everything else on the regulator looked to be in fine working order so I feel this will last for a while.

Last edited:

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting there:

View attachment 210100

Closer yet... :

View attachment 210101

Good enough for me:

View attachment 210102

View attachment 210103

Spring fits like it should and the whole thing compresses inside a cylindrical hole:

View attachment 210104

Didn't take any more pics, but all that was left was to make a cable bead for the other end at the same distance as the original. I drilled a 1/16" hole in a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum flat stock, cut it out and ground it down to a size that would fit into the hole on the cable drum. After routing the cable around a pulley, wrapping it around the drum four times (I counted before I took the old one off) and locking the other end into the notch on the drum, I greased the hell out of inside of the housing and closed it back up. I reattached the motor drive to the guide to finish reassembly.

I liberally greased everything that moved or slid and tested it with a 12V power supply. It seemed to operate quietly and smoothly so I reinstalled the regulator and door panel. Everything else on the regulator looked to be in fine working order so I feel this will last for a while.

Nice skills!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nice skills!

Thank you! I just wish I had a lathe!

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Getting there:

View attachment 210100

Closer yet... :

View attachment 210101

Good enough for me:

View attachment 210102

View attachment 210103

View attachment 210104

That's some great ingenuity. I remember once changing my ds window regulator and the cable came unwound. Took me over an hr to figure out how to get it back in there correctly--and get it to stay. Great job McGyver!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting there:

View attachment 210100

Closer yet... :

View attachment 210101

Good enough for me:

View attachment 210102

View attachment 210103

View attachment 210104

That’s definitely a macgyver right there! Fantastic work! Wish I had skills like that! Haha

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just got back from running more errands and was trying to find reasons to put the window up and down!

Since I now don't have to spend $80-$100+ on a regulator, I decided to order some H3 mounts and transmission mount. I'm in a "git 'er done" mood! I still wanted to make my own mounts with the broken ones I bought from other members, but "ain't nobody got time fo' dat".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts