Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the stock 80-lb. trash can of a muffler with an AP Exhaust XS1259.

Made some comparison vids. Slow rev to limiter (4,000 RPM, I think) then a few WOT blasts to limiter.

Before:

After:

Honestly, it's much less aggressive than what I wanted. With the muffler being about a 1/4 the size of the stock one and almost straight through, I expected it to be louder. My best description is that it's basically the stock note/tone, but with the volume turned up one or two clicks. Comparing the videos, the XS actually sounds quieter. It's definitely louder, but deeper. Very smooth and mellow. Maybe the camera recorded the sound differently? The sound it gives off seems to cancel out the growl from the MIT. When cruising, it sounds almost 100% stock and you can barely hear a deep rumble coming from behind you. It's definitely noticeable when you mash on it, but it's still not as aggressive as I was hoping for. I'm gonna run it and see if it changes it's tone with age. It may end up being perfect after the packing gets a little clogged and with catless long tubes. If not, I can easily switch to a chambered style like that Jones one @kbuskill has.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Replaced the stock 80-lb. trash can of a muffler with an AP Exhaust XS1259.

Made some comparison vids. Slow rev to limiter (4,000 RPM, I think) then a few WOT blasts to limiter.

Before:

After:

Honestly, it's much less aggressive than what I wanted. With the muffler being about a 1/4 the size of the stock one and almost straight through, I expected it to be louder. My best description is that it's basically the stock note/tone, but with the volume turned up one or two clicks. Comparing the videos, the XS actually sounds quieter. It's definitely louder, but deeper. Very smooth and mellow. Maybe the camera recorded the sound differently? The sound it gives off seems to cancel out the growl from the MIT. When cruising, it sounds almost 100% stock and you can barely hear a deep rumble coming from behind you. It's definitely noticeable when you mash on it, but it's still not as aggressive as I was hoping for. I'm gonna run it and see if it changes it's tone with age. It may end up being perfect after the packing gets a little clogged and with catless long tubes. If not, I can easily switch to a chambered style like that Jones one @kbuskill has.
Is your resonator still on? If so, cut it off!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your resonator still on? If so, cut it off!

Homemade resonator delete done a looooong time ago! I think the videos didn't copy over so I edited that last post.

I think the resonator is really just for AFM trucks as it's not really a muffler, it just cancels out a certain exhaust note and probably one produced when AFM is active. I only noticed a slight rumble after deleting, as expected, it but no increase in volume.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stock exhaust from the headers back up until the muffler?

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea first vid is louder than the second, but the second has a deeper tone

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stock exhaust from the headers back up until the muffler?

No headers yet. But exhaust is all stock except for muffler and resonator delete. Well, there's a 5" piece of 3" pipe to fill in the gap from the muffler to the rest of the pipe cuz this muffler was about 5" shorter than the stock one.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea first vid is louder than the second, but the second has a deeper tone

I like that louder, higher-pitched (rasp?) sound. I don't want ALL rasp, just enough to give it some attitude but with that smooth deep growl. I will say that, after about 100 miles put on it since I installed it last night, it's gotten louder and sounding better. Now it has that typical "Magnaflow" sound instead of the "Flowmaster 50" sound. Maybe it'll continue to improve and the headers will change the note even more for the better.

I thought maybe the camera mic just picked up differently, but I doubt it. I put the camera in the same location on the chair I left in place over night and parked the Tahoe within an inch or two of where I marked the grass during the baseline vid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew