greasing ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately it looks like my ball joints are starting to squeal. any have luck injecting grease into the boots or am i looking at inevitably replacing them to stop the squeaks?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately it looks like my ball joints are starting to squeal. any have luck injecting grease into the boots or am i looking at inevitably replacing them to stop the squeaks?
In my opinion, if your ball joints are making noise, the damage is done as the noise is metal on metal friction that does bad things. Injecting grease into the boot may get you a little further down the road, but in the end, you’re still going to need to replace them soon.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the good stuff? ac delco?
Notwithstanding other brands, GM OE is the best, ACDelco Professional and Moog CK Series are literally the same parts and of good quality. The upper control arms are not rebuildable, we replace the whole arm. The lowers, your call, most of us replace them too and skip the time and effort it takes to press out the old bushings and joints and press in the new ones.

Ask around about Mevotech and some others, I went with GM OE.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @swathdiver recommended, change out both the upper and lower control arms, which will come with new ball joints already installed. Use OE GM or ACDelco parts.

If you need specific part numbers, post the last 8 digits of your truck's VIN, and @915_Tahoe may be able to provide you with the exact part numbers needed.

Then, shop for price at RockAuto.com, GMPartsGiant.com, GMPartsDirect.com, or any other trusted seller.

OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between "police vehicle" parts? my parts search keeps finding "police vehicle" lower control arms.

and just curious how much life you guys get outta your wheel bearings? thinking i might as well replace those too. I'm at 115k. heck! maybe i'll do my struts too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are Delphi control arms w/ball joins any good?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between "police vehicle" parts? my parts search keeps finding "police vehicle" lower control arms.

and just curious how much life you guys get outta your wheel bearings? thinking i might as well replace those too. I'm at 115k. heck! maybe i'll do my struts too!
I used police lower control arms in my '07 Denali and they were indistinguishable from OEM, to my eye.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had upper and lowers done in my SSV - TBH, I had not noticed the road noise and how sloppy the ride had become. The new parts up front made driving the truck SOO much better - I dont think there is much, if any different in using "cop parts" - just go with OE or upgraded performance parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman