Grade of oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conky105

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello to all of you. I need some advise, i have been hearing alot about 0w20 oil in the 6.2 may be one of the issues with the lifter issues. Some people have been swapping out to another grade. Would it make a difference. Tks in advance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Typically the owner's manual will give you an option from the recommended grade of oil. It depends on how the vehicle is used and the atmosphere conditions in the area it is used in. Have you looked in the manual and it only says one choice or is there options?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically the owner's manual will give you an option from the recommended grade of oil. It depends on how the vehicle is used and the atmosphere conditions in the area it is used in. Have you looked in the manual and it only says one choice or is there options?
In my manual [2016 Tahoe] it says 0w20. No other options mentioned.

So far [150K miles] it has been awesome in Miami jungle heat and NYC constant gridlock. I use 0w20 Mobil 1 or 0w20 AC Delco. Change out every 5K miles.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering GM's error in recommended oil change interval and running their transmissions too hot, questioning GM's recommended oil weight is valid imo. Has anyone tried running a different weight?

Mando6point2

Reaction score
running 5w-30 mobil 1 in my 6.2. no issues so far. 0w-20 was in it when it bent a pushrod couple months ago due to a lifter malfunction. ran 5w-30 in my 5.3 for the last 200k and it runs like a sowing machine with great oil pressure

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest not swapping the grade.
GM spec DEXOS 0W20 for a reason, the best thing you can do is keep the oil fresh with a high quality oil and filter.
I would not be surprised if some DEXOS 0W20 motor oils are better than others - they're not all identical.
Problem is oil manufacturers intentionally obfuscate.
How does one know if one DEXOS 0W20 motor oil is ACTUALLY better than another?
Considering GM's error in recommended oil change interval
NOT an error, it's intentional. If we were still changing oil every 3000 miles, engines would last too much longer.
Who really thinks GM wants all their engines to go 200,000 miles without any issues?
and running their transmissions too hot
Bet running the ATF hotter is worth 1 or 2MpG for the CAFE tests.
And again, a transmission that lasts 200,000 miles? Bad for GM's bottom line.
questioning GM's recommended oil weight is valid imo.
Has anyone tried running a different weight?
0W30?
Which 0W30 comes closest to meeting DEXOS Gen3 standards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26