Grade of oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gapost

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I read a lot and have some experience with fleet vehicles. If you learn about the Dexos certification and the fact that GM recommends (for good reason) to use Dexos oil, then it might ease your mind about 0W20. Also, Dexos1 (for gas engines), is now a Gen 3 version and is better than the older Dexos1 oils. I keep an eye on our fleet vehicles, many of which use 0W20 oils (mostly Ford, we don't have many GM), and we don't see engine breakdowns as a result of oil problems. Our fleet vehicles change oil at 5000 miles in S. GA. Personally, I use the manufacturer's recommendation of Dexos 0W20 and usually base the oil change on the computer recommendation (which uses highly advanced calculations for oil life).

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you learn about the Dexos certification and the fact that GM recommends (for good reason) to use Dexos oil, then it might ease your mind about 0W20.
Where do we learn more about this? I'd bet we'd all like to be a lil bit more at ease.
Personally, I use the manufacturer's recommendation of Dexos 0W20 and usually base the oil change on the computer recommendation (which uses highly advanced calculations for oil life).
I get why the professional thing to do would be to base the oil change on the computer recommendation.
However, the computer recommendation cannot analyze the oil's condition in any sense.
It basically just counts how the engine is treated by the driver(s) - tallying total engine revolutions, at what temperatures (is the engine abused when it's cold?), how high the engine RpMs go, how long it spends idling, that sort of stuff.

Professionally, the livery drivers I know with vehicles that've accumulated over 350,000 CITY miles on their GMT900s, NEVER let the Oil Life Monitor get to 10% or less.
Despite none of them disabling V4 mode, can't recall one of them having any lifter issues.

Long story short: it's not hard to do better than the Oil Life Monitor; how much better is up to you.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always ran 5w-30 in my GM engines and in the heat of a Florida summer I use 1qt of 5w-40. I change my oil religioulsy and prefer to use Royal Purple with Baldwin oil filters. I have never had any issues from my H2 to Vette to Yukon.

I also run 5x-30 in my twin turbo imports and have no problems with them.

gapost

Reaction score
Where do we learn more about this? I'd bet we'd all like to be a lil bit more at ease.
I just did a search on the Internet.

An no, I would not let the oil life monitor go to 0, but it does help give you an idea about when to change it.

It's also interesting to note that Mobile 1 Extended is now saying you can get 20,000 between oil changes. No doubt many would not do that, but it is an indication of how advanced oils have become.

gapost

Reaction score
Here is a good video about Mobile 1 Extended oil. Among other things, they do a test on a Silverado 5.3 for 500,000 miles with 20,000 mile oil changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660