Got awful smell inside Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon has lots of bamboo charcoal bags that are highly effective for odor removal. Interesting that regular briquettes work, too, but makes sense.

LuckyRux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rotten egg smell can also be a lead acid battery that has been overcharged and is venting sulfur. It can happen if say an alternator is overcharging the battery. Its very apparent when you smell it though.

Roilux

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historically, a rotten egg smell is the sign of failed catalytic converters. Musty mold rotten smells can also come from mold growing on the evaporator inside the dash. When was the last time you replaced the cabin filter? The evaporator is right next to it. Sometimes critters crawl up in there and meet their demise.
I had an intermittent light musty smell in a newly purchased '04 Tahoe. After being told numerous times it didn't have a cabin air filter (my '01 had one) I pulled the panel under the dash and yup, no cabin filter. Thanks to TYF members I learned of a retrofit kit, ordered and installed it. There was almost two inches of moist crud sitting inside the housing but no critters. Mustiness is now gone and I've filtered air once again. :gay:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an intermittent light musty smell in a newly purchased '04 Tahoe. After being told numerous times it didn't have a cabin air filter (my '01 had one) I pulled the panel under the dash and yup, no cabin filter. Thanks to TYF members I learned of a retrofit kit, ordered and installed it. There was almost two inches of moist crud sitting inside the housing but no critters. Mustiness is now gone and I've filtered air once again. :gay:
Mine doesn't have a cabin air filter either. Do you have a link or more information about this retrofit kit?

Roilux

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a cabin air filter either. Do you have a link or more information about this retrofit kit?
Here's the door -

...and two piece cabin filter. A one piece filter will fit but you'll mangle it getting it in and out.

I used a multi-tool with the blade set at 45º to make the cuts. Worked like a charm. Use the foam on the door as a guide for the length and width of the opening.

Attachments

• Dewalt.jpg
    Dewalt.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyfur

Latest posts