Got a steering wobble??? Check you dampener!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it's been awhile since I've posted here, and this one made me LOL. Since the day I owned the suburban 2500, I've had a steering shake. Thrown countless dollars, and effort at the problem, never having a resolution. Well recently I switched mechanics. He and I were having a discussion about said wobble and he said something along the lines of, "you should look into a dampener for it." I had a very similar issue with a bump started wobble on my motorcycle, and one of the old school methods of correcting the issue was to put a small gas damper and attach to the fork to absorb and negate any sort of unexpected cyclical wobble. So, i thought, damn that is very similar to what happens on the burb.

Anyhow, I do some research and I'll be damned, the burb already comes with a dampener! Well, that must be it right? That sucker has to be shot. Makes perfect sense. So I buy a brand new bilstein dampener off of amazon and I plan to install it prior to a trip to michigan.

Get the part, get under the truck, take off the skid plate, and....................eh.............SOMETHING IS MISSING!!!

LOL, it looks like the original dampener had been had been ripped out forcefully at some point as the mounting tabs were violently bent. Got that all straightened out and the new dampener installed and boom. No. more. wobble. It was a 60 dollar part....for the last 4 years I've been pulling my hair out about this damn thing...and it was a 60 dollar part that my old mechanic never bothered to check or suggest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645