Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Top Dawg, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Top Dawg

Top Dawg TYF Newbie

Name:
    Phillip
    Hello,
    It’s time for new tires on my 2016 Yukon Denali... has anyone used the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac with stock rims and suspension? If so what are your thoughts? How’s the ride? Are they noisy?

2. Blueinterceptor

Blueinterceptor Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    Michelin defender Ltd ms

Accept no substitutes

Top Dawg, swathdiver and Miami-Dade like this.
  3. Miami-Dade

Miami-Dade Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Gary
    Recently bought Michelin Defenders for my Tahoe. Rides a million times better then the Continentals I previously had on.

Top Dawg and swathdiver like this.
  4. Blueinterceptor

Name:
    Steve
    I’m going to give you a little hint. When you go in for your alignment, the compare the tire to tires they have in their database for proper alignment settings.
    There is no measurements for the Michelin’s ltx in their system.
    Try the Bridgestone dueler at’s settings

Top Dawg and swathdiver like this.
  5. DWTahoe

DWTahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    DW
    I liked the duratracs, I had them on my Jeep WJ (grand cherokee). Great tire. They did get noisier the more they wore down but they were pretty quiet for that type of tire.

You will have to expect road noise, more than a regular A/T tire and less than a true mud tire. Quite a bit more than a regular all season tire but definitely reasonable for what the duratrac is.

If you go with that tire or any other mud tire you can't rotate and balance them too much. If you want to get reasonable tire life out of them they need to be rotated and balanced every 5k miles, at least. If you let them go they will wear badly and you will hate the noise and how quickly they wear out. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with them on a truck the size and weight of a Tahoe, but at least you get some feedback.

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you go with the Duratrac.

ATX 14, 08HoeCD and Top Dawg like this.
  6. mizzouguy

mizzouguy Full Access Member

Name:
    Shane
    Used to sell goodyears. Hardly ever sold the duratracs. Most people went with wrangler at adventure for an all terrain or if they wanted something more aggressive the wrangler mtr (mud). The conservation dept switched to the MTR exclusively but got a great deal on them being a government agency. They only got about 30k out of them on their f-150's, but they never got stuck going off road. I have the at adventures on my tahoe in 275/55r20 and so far they are super quiet and wearing evenly.

7. Top Dawg

Top Dawg TYF Newbie

Name:
    Phillip
    Thank you all for your feedback! Haven’t bought this type of tire befor but like the more aggressive look. Not sure I want it to be really noisy though.

8. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Then choose the KO2s.

09 L9H, 89Suburban and 08HoeCD like this.
  9. Blueinterceptor

Name:
    Steve

I had always put an at tire on my Tahoe’s, k5 blazers suburban etc.

The defenders have gone on the last two Tahoe’s. I have no regrets. I take my truck through deep snow and through some farm fields for hunting. It took 30” of snow to stop me, not because the truck wouldn’t go but because I didn’t want to risk damage to the air dam or plastic numbers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Miami-Dade and swathdiver like this.
  10. Agent WD-40

Agent WD-40 Full Access Member

Name:
    Eric
    The Wrangler DuraTrac is the tire GM uses on the Tahoe Z71 package (plus I've seen them on some non-Z71 Tahoes - just not sure what package/ trim). GM also uses them some of the various pickup trims. They look aggressive and are supposed to have good snow traction.

Personally, I've used the BFG AT tire and was very happy with them from an overall ride, noise, wear, and winter traction perspective. If I was getting tires I would give the DuraTrac a serious look vs the BFG AT.