Going backward to a NBS platform

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 2010 tahoe and a 2003 Yukon.

The Yukon is pretty stock with fresh suspension and nnbs brakes.

Tahoe is lowered 2/3” but otherwise stock as well.

The biggest difference for me is the Tahoe seating position is much lower and with the vehicle lowered feels like a giant car. The Yukon rides and steers like a truck.

The Gen4 5.3/6l80e feels worlds quicker than the Gen 3 5.3/4l60. Tahoe keeps pulling where the Yukon falls on its face at higher rpm.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as the night and day differences are between the 2 generations, I miss my 03 NBS Tahoe, but that is just nostalgia talking! I bought it new 2003 and finally set it free in 2020. Yeah, in stock form it waddled and was sluggish when compared to the NNBS but it was just damn comfortable to drive. The leather buckets felt like a well worn sofa-gosh I miss that thing. :2cents:

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2002 LT and liked it but I thought, "why don't I go look at a NNBS and see if it is much better". I did feel the difference in the trans right away but I also felt the uncomfortable feel of the seats. The hugging effect of the NBS is way noticeable to me. My 02 still had a cable throttle and the drive by wire was noticeable but I also had 3.73 gears in the 02 and the rigs I test drove had 3.42 gears, drove only two of them and my 05 is the wire as well, of course. But in the end , I kept the 02 and then went after the 05 Z71 I have. Could not be happier unless I had the 3.73 gears back but it is what it is.

I did notice the better/more solid feel to the NNBS steering but after putting the Hellwig bars on the 05, front and rear, I am very very happy. Freshening up the idler, pitman, center link and tie rods and UCA/LCA's and shocks sure helped too.
I wish my 01 had a rack and pinion it would be perfect

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K2 is more like the NBS, NNBS can just be skipped at this point!

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great topics, you just about hit every nail on the head for me.

Some of the major differences to me is the quality of the interior/exterior overall. NBS is solid, heavier doors, thicker metal, especially on the rear quarter panels. The plastic bumpers on the NNBS give it that minivan/crossover suv feel/look. where as NBS is truck like, rigid, strong. Interior trim on the NNBS - the dash for sure, known for cracking - seating is narrow, more firm, but with the LTZ trim and moving pedals, I can fit just as well. 6'6" 285 here...

The gen 4 engine in the NNBS combined with the newer trans like you mentioned is worlds apart. a 4l60 shifts like a loose/sloppy tired worn out truck, where as the NNBS shifts faster, its an overall more performance type feel. and the power output

Like you had mentioned the suspension and steering is the worlds biggest change to me. After driving both, and currently owning a 2001, ive spent well over 2 grand on my lowered suspension, and it still doesn't handle as well as a bone stock 07+ truck.

Torsion bars never were my thing, many people dont recognize what they are missing from struts until they try it. and in your case go backwards.

looks like you picked up a clean truck, enjoy it !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14