GM to stop sharing data with LexisNexis and insurers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
My Z71 HAD OnStar in '02, pretty sure that version of OnStar is obsolete ...
but ...
If I press the emergency button, what actually happens?
(Want to know BEFORE an emergency crawls up me arse.)
Further on the ‘02; it wasn’t even 3g, it was analog. There was never an upgrade available to make it compatible with any currently operating cellular networks.

The OnStar module is behind the passenger-side dash and can be removed. When I pulled mine out of my old ‘02 I installed a HAM radio into its mounting bracket, though I didn’t try to tap into any of its wiring for that radio. If I recall I was able to use the OnStar microphone on a Bluetooth plugin module that gave me phone, but not music, through the stock stereo.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was younger I thought there was too much govt oversight but as I get older I realize most people are idiots.
Well, yeah, It doesn't help that coal rollers are allowed to procreate, justifying more oversight. Banks was getting plenty of extra power without blowing soot everywhere.

kdsimms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, yeah, It doesn't help that coal rollers are allowed to procreate, justifying more oversight. Banks was getting plenty of extra power without blowing soot everywhere.
Just another reason NOT to get an EV. The government could disable your car for any number of reasons. Think about it... The list of things to control you is infinite. What about another 'plandemic'? Stay home, you can't use your car. They proved this during 2020.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this type of data collection is currently "voluntary"
you can bet your hard earned money at some point in the future it will be mandatory.
that is how they will implement things like speed limiters, perimeter control. For Instance if there is police activity in a specific area you will not be able to enter with a vehicle.
Or if they are pursuing a suspect all vehicles in a certain area will not start, with perhaps some emergency allowances for say a verifiable medical emergency, etc.
or speed may be severely reduced.
no more high speed pursuit's they will be able to just slow you to a crawl and stop.
ya'll probably think i'm crazy..... but it's coming like it or not.
California is already trying to make it happen
GM has already openly stated we will have a future with "zero" accidents, that should tell you everything you need to know
the only way you will have 0 accidents is with COMPLETE control.
all in the name of "for your safety"

"requires collaboration by the private and public sectors, supported by comprehensive Federal policies."
see story below

I agree with you 100%. I find it funny that you have to PAY for Onstar, AND they get to glean any info they want, 'need', or can sell. Talk about a scam......

To your other points, I've had that lurking, uneasy, feeling ever since Onstar was a thing initially, but more so with the introduction of push to start, and now with auto start/stop. WE as the owners/drivers are losing anonymity everyday and everywhere.

Time to focus on removing the ability for Onstar to communicate and kill the ability for OTA updates. A flip of a switch for "the greater good" could leave countess people without a mode of transportation.......that they own.

Yikes,watch your 6

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another reason NOT to get an EV. The government could disable your car for any number of reasons. Think about it... if you disagreed with the government, the car stops working! The list of things to control you is infinite. What about another 'plandemic'? Stay home, you can't use your car. They proved this during 2020.
Just watch LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND on Netflix. It will tell you what you need to know about the connected world and EV vehicles. That's a NO for me Dogg

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the press release, they were very specific about no longer sharing it with these 2 companies.
What it should have said if they were honest was
"You caught us sharing information that you agree to when the person showing you how the entertainment system worked clicked on "I agree" when the agreement came up without ever letting you read it and while we are no longer sharing the information with these 2 companies, we are still collecting everything you text, where you drive, how you drive, what you listen to, and what you talk about and sell that to a bunch of other people."
With that said, GM is not different than any other car company when it comes to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts