GM to stop sharing data with LexisNexis and insurers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
meanwhile everybody else is collecting data, lol

it "might" make a sound like it is trying to "ring" a number but then tell you it is unable to connect
all onstar 3g and previous is all shut down (sunset), only works on 4g or newer now 2015+.
it sure as heck doesn't work satellite (as many believe it to operate), although a signal "could" be sent from space, but that''s it.
recieve only.
funny gm always shows these commercials like it has satelitte communication and will work anywhere.... not so
no cell service, S.O.L.
True, the only thing that might be better is the Onstar cell phone is higher powered and has a better antenna so it may work where a smart phone won't. I tried the Onstar in my 2008 Avalanche and did get the unable to connect message.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this type of data collection is currently "voluntary"
you can bet your hard earned money at some point in the future it will be mandatory.
that is how they will implement things like speed limiters, perimeter control. For Instance if there is police activity in a specific area you will not be able to enter with a vehicle.
Or if they are pursuing a suspect all vehicles in a certain area will not start, with perhaps some emergency allowances for say a verifiable medical emergency, etc.
or speed may be severely reduced.
no more high speed pursuit's they will be able to just slow you to a crawl and stop.
ya'll probably think i'm crazy..... but it's coming like it or not.
California is already trying to make it happen
GM has already openly stated we will have a future with "zero" accidents, that should tell you everything you need to know
the only way you will have 0 accidents is with COMPLETE control.
all in the name of "for your safety"

"requires collaboration by the private and public sectors, supported by comprehensive Federal policies."
see story below

I totally agree with your predictions. It's just a matter of time.

In addition, insurance companies currently offer you a dongle to install, or a smart phone GPS tracking app, to hopefully get a lower rate, and this is now voluntary. I foresee this becoming either mandatory, or a tripling of rates for those folks who refuse to install the dongle or be tracked on their smart phone.

And, not everything has to be fully legislated. As with many things in our lives, our decisions can be affected by price, and we can literally be priced out of freedom of choice.

For us 'free-driving' dinosaurs, our days of free and spirited driving are coming to an end. Sad, but I'm glad I lived through the days of free driving.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you predictions. It's just a matter of time.

In addition, insurance companies currently offer you a dongle to install, or a smart phone GPS tracking app, to hopefully get a lower rate, and this is now voluntary. I foresee this becoming either mandatory, or a tripling of rates for those folks who refuse to install the dongle or be tracked on their smart phone.

And, not everything has to be fully legislated. As with many things in our lives, our decisions can be affected by price, and we can literally be priced out of freedom of choice.

For us 'free-driving' dinosaurs, our days of free and spirited driving are coming to an end. Sad, but I'm glad I lived through the days of free driving.
If I had one those dongle's in my car I would never get insured by anyone.....
I can hear state farm now, "we thought we saw everything already"

Gak9sar5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the computer inside your vehicle gives all the data the police need to form a case against you! Yes a digital warrant is needed however all judges will sign for it without hesitation! In a recent case here we used the CPU to prove the suspect was going 125 on a road before he hit and killed a man in a t-bone accident. He was DUI and was in a school zone at 7:15AM and killed a local minster on his way to work. GM Onstar can stop a stolen vehicle or if it is a person who is missing and a report is on file and they where last seen in their vehicle they will pinpoint it for safety without warrant but the call has to come from the 911 center and they use a special number and code to access the Onstar center. The safety features shut the engine down at a safe speed descent so there is no chance to hurt anyone else.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had one those dongle's in my car I would never get insured by anyone.....
I can hear state farm now, "we thought we saw everything already"
I'm in the same boat as you. And, I have often thought about installing one of those dongles, just for fun to see/hear what the reaction is. But, the thought of the possibility that insurance companies share data for 'non-qualifying' drivers keeps me from pulling that stunt.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the computer inside your vehicle gives all the data the police need to form a case against you! Yes a digital warrant is needed however all judges will sign for it without hesitation! In a recent case here we used the CPU to prove the suspect was going 125 on a road before he hit and killed a man in a t-bone accident. He was DUI and was in a school zone at 7:15AM and killed a local minster on his way to work. GM Onstar can stop a stolen vehicle or if it is a person who is missing and a report is on file and they where last seen in their vehicle they will pinpoint it for safety without warrant but the call has to come from the 911 center and they use a special number and code to access the Onstar center. The safety features shut the engine down at a safe speed descent so there is no chance to hurt anyone else.
Got it. I’ll just roll over and submit now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep so if you are ever in a questionable situation pull the srs module and get rid of it, smash it destroy it. that is the (black box recorder)
that's also why gm will never "reset" one because they are afraid they might erase "evidence" and get sued.

the srs module will record all the data if there is a airbag deployment and it stores it.

Last edited: