Gm Performance CAI on a 2013 Tahoe? # 17800809

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geelevert

Reaction score
Got a great deal ($50) on a GM PERFORMANCE OEM COLD AIR INTAKE part #17800809. I want to put it on my 2013 Tahoe but my make isnt on the fit list. Has anyone here successfully made this kit work for newer models. I currently have a AIRRAID kit on but really like the Aluminum intake box on the oem kit. Only issues I've read so far is MAF sensor location issues, but I'm wondering if a combo of tubes from the oem kit and airraid kit would solve the maf sensor location potential issue. Anyone out there gone through this to lend a little experienced advice? I'll attach a stock photo of what the kit looks likeScreenshot_20190210-085029_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190210-085029_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
geelevert

geelevert

Reaction score
UPDATE: Here's a possible solution to my problem of getting a GM PERFORMANCE INTAKE that wasnt meant for a 2013 Tahoe 5.3.

The main problem was the MAF sensor mount location or lack there of. On the GM PERFORMANCE INTAKE I got, there wasnt a place to mount the MAF SENOR. Well easy enough right, cut off the plastic 3.5" diameter tube that sticks out from the stock intake box. I got it to mount and all the GM PERFORMANCE INTAKE parts fit good and was functional. WELL, after looking It, I didnt like it. I didnt like the GM PERFORMANCE INTAKE tubing was 4" diameter and the cut off plastic MAF being 3.5" that choked back the air flow and the plastic stood out from all the polished aluminum tubing. So after some research I found a 4" tube that's 10" inches long. And from Summit Racing they had a aluminum MAF MOUNT that is to be welded to the tube. Gonna have the tube polished to match the rest of the parts. I will post a update after I get the next stage done.

20190223_115022.jpg 20190223_115145.jpg

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
The product looks great and appears to be of quality, However the whole CAI is 100% pure snake oil!:2cents: For $50 you did great in comparison to what others have spent, But you would have literally gotten more performance out of an oil change! OK ill admit im an old fart! Resell it and make a profit? That "high performance" red filter is definitley "go fast".

Last edited:
OP
OP
geelevert

geelevert

Reaction score
I am also a member of the old fart club and completely get your point thompsoj22. CAI is also a concern and a partial motivation for putting the OEM performance intake on. I had a CAI legal AIRRAID intake with the emission sticker on it. Sometime during the year, the sticker fell off and the smog shop wouldn't complete the smog until I got another sticker. After some research, I found out AIRRAID would send me another sticker. All I had to do was send them a email with a picture of the intake mounted on my vehicle with a pic of my registration. 1 week later I got a new sticker in the mail but it was a pain when it came to getting my smog done. I thought if there was a OEM Performance intake similar or better than AIRRAID INTAKE without the CAI STICKER hassle, that's for me. Which led me to this kit I found. The AIRRAID intake had a 3.5" diameter mandrel bent components. The OEM PERFORMANCE INTAKE has 4" diameter tubing. So if I'm not mistaken more air flow equals more horse power. One of my Tahoe's purpose is to haul a Rv which I also found out the hard way, lacked power and made going over the Grapevine mountains here in California a bit scary. So here we are here. I will admit the journey that led me to this project is fun and educational, especially being a old fart through all this.

One last point, I dont think a simple oil change is equal or better than a AIRRAID INTAKE or OEM GM PERFORMANCE INTAKE when it comes to improving the performance of my vehicle or any other vehicle. But just to be on the safe side I'll do as I always done and keep changing all my fluids as recommended, BECAUSE IF WE LOVE OUR CHEVYS THAT'S WHAT WE DO, RIGHT!!!!!!

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also a member of the old fart club and completely get your point thompsoj22. CAI is also a concern and a partial motivation for putting the OEM performance intake on. I had a CAI legal AIRRAID intake with the emission sticker on it. Sometime during the year, the sticker fell off and the smog shop wouldn't complete the smog until I got another sticker. After some research, I found out AIRRAID would send me another sticker. All I had to do was send them a email with a picture of the intake mounted on my vehicle with a pic of my registration. 1 week later I got a new sticker in the mail but it was a pain when it came to getting my smog done. I thought if there was a OEM Performance intake similar or better than AIRRAID INTAKE without the CAI STICKER hassle, that's for me. Which led me to this kit I found. The AIRRAID intake had a 3.5" diameter mandrel bent components. The OEM PERFORMANCE INTAKE has 4" diameter tubing. So if I'm not mistaken more air flow equals more horse power. One of my Tahoe's purpose is to haul a Rv which I also found out the hard way, lacked power and made going over the Grapevine mountains here in California a bit scary. So here we are here. I will admit the journey that led me to this project is fun and educational, especially being a old fart through all this.

One last point, I dont think a simple oil change is equal or better than a AIRRAID INTAKE or OEM GM PERFORMANCE INTAKE when it comes to improving the performance of my vehicle or any other vehicle. But just to be on the safe side I'll do as I always done and keep changing all my fluids as recommended, BECAUSE IF WE LOVE OUR CHEVYS THAT'S WHAT WE DO, RIGHT!!!!!!

Absolutely! We do love our chevy's and simply express it in different ways! For me im a "purist" I like everything OEM, I spend my time on the computer surfing rock auto/big 3 oem just looking for ways to spend money on oem parts, Do all the work myself and rarely see a performance gain based upon my efforts/money. If i were not so stuck in my ways, Trying new performance products might prove beneficial to my vehicle? My comments are not backed up by the personal experience of installation without results, just mt attitude of "that wont work"? This is the most experienced forum i have ever been associated with and alot of it's members/followers are installing CAI and claiming noticeable power increase's which is a good indicator that i may be wrong in regard to CAI. The one in the OP looks "trick" and looks more like some sort of nitrous oxide injection manifold than a aircleaner box!

OP
OP
geelevert

geelevert

Reaction score
Update: I got the 4" tube and MAF sensor mount welded up and installed. I attached photos of the various steps. After all was installed there was a few noticable differences. First off I noticed a lower RpM at a warm engine idle. 2nd I noticed a quieter engine at idle. 3rd after test drive I noticed lower RPM to hold steady at driving 40 mph. When I got on the freeway I punched it and the high pitch engine rev was not there and quiter. I talked to my neighbor who is a professional mechanic and race engine enthusiast (race boats) He explained to me the quieter engine is due to the more air flow that is resulting in my engine not working as hard. Lower RPM due to more force air induction equals a more efficient working engine.

20190224_175405.jpg 20190224_175434.jpg 20190226_151245.jpg 20190226_173856.jpg 20190226_173903.jpg

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks cool, Great fabrication work and a solid leak free install "but" your engines ability to breath is directly controlled by the throttle plate, your only chance of noticing a performance gain is at wide open throttle and extremely high rpm. Why cant i just stfu? I swear that is a great install equal to oem in reliability/function. You have skills!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CAFE forces the manufacturers to wring every last bit of power/efficiency out of their engines. If slapping on a larger intake tube would have any measurable difference, your Tahoe would already have it.

Glad you got it for only $50, but claiming any "butt dyno" increase in power is just poppycock.

You want noticeable increases in power? Get a cam, a tune and/or forced induction. Maybe, just maybe, that CAI got you 2-3 extra horsepower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14