GM is buying back my Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait but maybe a month. We went and looked at the new Ford raptors last night and they are awesome.

So you're stuck with the GMs, IIWY I'd be test driving a lot of them - IIRC I drove around 10 and found only 2 that were acceptable

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Reaction score
We are dealing with that as well with our 15. They are claiming the entire steering shaft needs replaced while I'm fighting with them to do the tsb that replaces sleeve and spring. I wouldn't care except it will be out of pocket as we are past 36k.

It's $300 vs $1200. From what I've read here and other places, the steering column/shaft is not the issue. Two dealers now and they don't have a clue. I Tried to push GM to cover the repair given it is a known problem with the 15s but no luck.

GM customer service is a joke and that's being nice. If Ford did the 18 Expedition/Navigator right, GM will be forced to change as they will lose a lot of buyers based on the '15-17 trucks.
Yeah i honestly don't think most dealerships even know what to do with these vehicles. Every problem we had it took 2-3-4 even 5 tries for them to get the problems fixed. My husband has owned 5 fords and never had any issues but we have owned 6 GM cars and now 3 have been bought back by GM and the rest have had some major issues. My 2012 Chevy Tahoe died on me while going 40 down a major street and it took GM 3 tries to fix it! I'm pretty much done with GM I think. The more I think about all the issues we have had the more I want to step away from them. Sad because the Yukon is a really nice comfortable family car.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I have always driven GM products. Iv'e had very good luck over the last forty years. What I find interesting is that 3 model years into this platform GM still doesn't have it right. I was always told don't buy a car the first year out, let them work the bugs out. But come on it's been three years. GM get your shit together!!!!!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're stuck with the GMs, IIWY I'd be test driving a lot of them - IIRC I drove around 10 and found only 2 that were acceptable

If I were buying a $50,000-$70,000+ SUV, I wouldn't be test driving multiples just to find one or two that were "acceptable". It should be more like "only 2 were not exceptional".

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Reaction score
At least you'll always be broke down in style and comfort!
True... it's the hour I spend at the dealership getting a rental and then having to drive a not so nice rental for weeks at a time and moving 2 car seats over when I'm paying over $1,000 a month for my Very nice Yukon.

68 Grand

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Boy does it seem that the more boxes you tick, i.e. 4 wheel drive, 6.2 engine/8 speed transmission, extended wheelbase, the more likely you are to get a bad apple out of the bunch. Thought of checking out a regular length SLT Yukon or LTZ/Premier Tahoe?

We have a 2015i 4WD LTZ, and were apparently lucky enough to get a good apple. Very interesting to read threads like this one.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's very disappointing to hear gm has bought back 3 of your vehicles. Ive always a dodge fan. Had 2 of them before my 2006 denali and they never let me down. They weren't without issue as no used car truly is but both were solid. I was pretty hesitant to go with gm when I bought my 2006 just because I'd never had one before. But in the 2 years I've had it, it's been a very reliable truck. Not without issues, but the issues I've had I'd expect given the amount of miles my truck has. It's never left me stranded anywhere and never had a problem that wasn't fairly standard to fix and get my truck back into commission quickly. So I'm pretty set with gm trucks now. But again very disappointing to see so many issues with the new gm platforms. I like the idea of looking for a gmt900 platform in good condition. I have many clients here that I deal for with that platform and from what I've seen they haven't had major issues. So might be something to look into for you. I see a few for sale at a time here in cali so I'd think you could find one if you know how to shop. Good luck!