GM Financial approved then rejected loan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyrell

Reaction score
GM Financial approved my loan application at the dealer for 0% 36mo. Great, let's do the paperwork and I'll take this truck home! Glad I have excellent credit.

Fast forward to today...4 wks later. I received a letter from GM Financial saying I was declined for the loan. What? How? Now what?

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common practice, the dealers "shotgun" the loan app to several lenders. By now you were accepted by one of them but not GM that is why you got the letter.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common practice, the dealers "shotgun" the loan app to several lenders. By now you were accepted by one of them but not GM that is why you got the letter.
How does that work? Out of curiosity… I assume when you’re at the dealership signing papers you are signing an agreement with the loan company too? How do they just change after you leave.

Or did OP sign something he didn’t read?

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually it's in the paperwork you get when you purchase the vehicle, form that says the lenders they may have shopped it to...usually tied in with the credit score report...as far as rejecting it 4 weeks later...not sure, don't know of any other lenders that'd offer a 0% loan other than the manufacturer so yeah, a little odd...by this i mean when the papers are signed it should not only show the lender, but the interest costs over the loan period (as well as the rate)...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM Financial approved my loan application at the dealer for 0% 36mo. Great, let's do the paperwork and I'll take this truck home! Glad I have excellent credit.

Fast forward to today...4 wks later. I received a letter from GM Financial saying I was declined for the loan. What? How? Now what?

Your credit score may have changed in that time, especially if your credit card balances went up. Read the letter again, there ought to be a reason given. It's the law in my state if memory serves. More times than I care to remember, even after advising them, clients went out and bought a car after signing the contract to buy a home. Their credit was run again before closing and they were turned down. Most were still able to complete the purchase with more money down and or a higher interest rate.

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually it's in the paperwork you get when you purchase the vehicle, form that says the lenders they may have shopped it to...usually tied in with the credit score report...as far as rejecting it 4 weeks later...not sure, don't know of any other lenders that'd offer a 0% loan other than the manufacturer so yeah, a little odd...by this i mean when the papers are signed it should not only show the lender, but the interest costs over the loan period (as well as the rate)...
Yeah that’s confusing. If I pull up the paper work on my Yukon I’d be almost certain that I’ve signed a few documents that include the bank I borrowed from, the amount, the payment, and payoff date..

Which IMO is a legal binding contract between me and that lender. But what do I know

OP
OP
T

Tyrell

Reaction score
I've re-read and re-read again all my paperwork. I signed and they signed everything. Incentive acknowledgement form stating 0% for 36, Sales contract stating 36 monthly payments of $x, starting on x date; etc. Calling the dealer today to see what's going on.

OP
OP
T

Tyrell

Reaction score
Dealer checked on his end and confirmed my deal was funded by GM Financial. Since this letter I'm holding is approx 10 days old, I'm going to assume he has latest info. Finance guy guessed the letter was maybe in response a request for a loan with $0 down. Not sure. I did put $ down so that wouldn't have been the deal we signed on. Probably would have been a more clear situation if the letter spelled out the terms that were requested which ended up being rejected.

Bottom line, I'm good to go.

JGinLA

Reaction score
We have been buying vehicles 50 years, credit scores over 800, no credit card debt. Until our '22 Tahoe arrived the only debt we had was a home equity loan ($56/mo. + whatever we pay on principal). Finance man got us a good rate from a credit union we had never done business with. Days later we got the car loan denial letter from our home equity bank. Salesman said it might be sour grapes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts