gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
does this pic mean anything to anyone? I am looking into changing my gear ratio and adding a locking dif. I know my truck doesn't have a locking did now but could the gears have been changed already? Is there anyway to tell? Thx

Attachments

• 20150329_181721.jpg
    20150329_181721.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 14

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen people do that after just changing the fluid. Doesn't men new gears were put in there. My guess would be that is the factory set up still in there.

Why do you want to change the ratio?

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

This should help you determine what you have now:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23591

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
I want to put in a rear locking diff. And I'd like the performance to be similar to factory. Is it true that having bigger tires and a lift without changing the gears will put extra wear and tear on them?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lift has nothing to do with the added load on the transmission. Larger tires do that. But yes, the truck will typically feel very under powered if you jump a couple tire sizes and do not re-gear. That is a tranny killer.

Keep in mind you need to do the front as well if you are 4x4

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
Yeah I read that I have to do front and back or it will twist my drive train into a pretzel. I will do both. If I get a drop in locking diff will that include the rack and pinion gears? Thanks for your help

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The locker typically will not have the install kit or any gears with it. Cost to change gears is close to $1,300 in just parts. No installation included in that price.

In my opinion, if you currently have 3.42 gears and want 3.73....you will be disappointed in the results.

You will also need to adjust the PCM for the gear change so keep that in mind too or you will get tranny and ABS lights and problems.

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
Well that sucks. Ill stick with 3.43 and drop in a locker then thx!