GDE tune for LM2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kerlyb

Reaction score
I see Green Diesel Engineering finally came out with a tune for the LM2 motor. +60 hp and +114ftlb torque. Impressive...and tested by EPA to meet standards.

I know GDE has pretty good reputation and following with Ecodiesel owners.

TxSam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just FYI - I had a little conversation with GDE and also asked about progress on a tune for the LM2 SUV's. They said they had just cracked the code on the ECM. They do extensive testing on an actual vehicle, so they said it would likely be 8-12 months before they have the SUV LM2 tune available.

On Edit - I had their tune on my EcoDiesel and always had great service/response from them. Their tunes are EPA compliant, but the GM ECM's show when the tune has been over-written and swapped in and out, so there may be warranty implications for sure.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had their tune on my Jeep eco diesel, and it was definitely a noticeable improvement. But I'm not that unhappy with the LM2 and probably wouldn't mess with it even if they had an application available. Just not worth risking the 6/100 warranty over.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Their tunes are EPA compliant, but the GM ECM's show when the tune has been over-written and swapped in and out, so there may be warranty implications for sure.
I know for fact GM will check the ECM for changes done to it, GM somehow can tell it was changed (GM says there is a fingerprint written evrytime the ECM is updated, or restored), as well as non-GM approved exhausts (Cat back is ok, cat or before is not). GM started checking around the LLY and later diesels (Might have been LB7). GM will deny power train warranty work, and GM will red flag the VIN in GMVIS.
Every aftremarket product in the world will tell you to fight it under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, but GM has a few buildings full of lawyers. Notice how the aftermarket folks won't cover any of the legal fees or court costs, that should tell you something. I had an employee do it to a truck years ago, had an issue with the EGR valve. Get a call from the Dealer stating the repair would noyt be covered as the ECM had been modified. I had zero idea what he was talking about, called employee, employee said he heard programmers would make it run better.
Once the VIN is red flagged, good luck when you trade it, if itr's at a GM dealer, some will look in GMVIS to see what the history is, see tha red flag, and will tell you they either won't take it on trade, or will give you pennies on the dollar from what the trade would normally get.

OP
OP
K

kerlyb

Reaction score
With the Ecodiesel, a second blank ECM could be purchased, copied to mirror OEM ECM, and programmed with the GDE tune. Therefore the OEM ECM and GDE ECM could be easily switched out whenever the dealer serviced it.

Hoping same can be done with the LM2/LZO in the future.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Ecodiesel, a second blank ECM could be purchased, copied to mirror OEM ECM, and programmed with the GDE tune. Therefore the OEM ECM and GDE ECM could be easily switched out whenever the dealer serviced it.

Hoping same can be done with the LM2/LZO in the future.
Unlikely. GM locked them down pretty hard. And if there is a fingerprint, then there is probably a systemwide monitor. They don't have to prevent it, just detect it. Volvo has a bunch of stupid modules that require purchase of software to update or sometimes even to replace. Would be nice if those who claim to be for the people would actually force industries to obey the law, rather than send our money to other countries...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwill205

Latest posts