Gas pump always shuts off early

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe4life

Reaction score
Wife just bought 2010 Tahoe LT and every time she stops to fill up, the pump shuts off before it's full. I thought it was a fluke or something she did to cause it but it kept happening then it happened to me. Tried putting nozzle in different depths still same outcome. This happen to anyone else? Seems weird to me...

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How full are you able to get it? Ive heard of this happening if the vent solenoid is stuck closed.

OP
OP
T

tahoe4life

Reaction score
Mostly shuts off at half tank, sometimes quarter full other times three quarters full. I've never experienced this with any vehicle before.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Its the vapor recovery system telling the pump, the tanks almost full..
This prevents spills.

Its normal.

Of course it's normal - if it shuts off just before it over flows. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that I wasn't clear enough in my explanation and that you're not that big of a smart or dumb arse.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Clicks the pump off every 5-10 seconds. Super frustrating. No idea why.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me on several occasions.
If I put the nozzle in all the way it tends to happen more often.
I end up putting the nozzle in just enough to catch and it pumps fine.

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yeah like I said it most likely is the vent solenoid. It will most likely need to be replaced.

PinkAle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to manage a gas station another reason for shutting off is if there is too much demand placed on the pump as some gas stations split the demand of the supply pump between the fill stations. This is found in older gas stations. There is in some but not all gas stations a vapor recovery system this system is designed to prevent gas vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. if you pull into a gas station and find a black rubber fitting over the nozzle this is the vapor recovery system. This can in some circumstances become full or not be functioning properly which will prevent your vehicle from filling properly. Your vehicle also has one which is designed to burn the gas in the engine. This can also malfunction but as a general rule your engine light should come on. Hope this helps

OP
OP
T

tahoe4life

Reaction score
So yeah like I said it most likely is the vent solenoid. It will most likely need to be replaced.

Thanks for info, I'll check into this replacement.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

I used to manage a gas station another reason for shutting off is if there is too much demand placed on the pump as some gas stations split the demand of the supply pump between the fill stations. This is found in older gas stations. There is in some but not all gas stations a vapor recovery system this system is designed to prevent gas vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. if you pull into a gas station and find a black rubber fitting over the nozzle this is the vapor recovery system. This can in some circumstances become full or not be functioning properly which will prevent your vehicle from filling properly. Your vehicle also has one which is designed to burn the gas in the engine. This can also malfunction but as a general rule your engine light should come on. Hope this helps

That does help, thanks for the insight, always thought those rubber grommets were splash guards.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

yea, your question sucked.

Look what a 2 second search found. -------->Click me<-------

I see I was right and didn't need to give you benefit of doubt. I didn't do a 2 second search because I enjoy the conversations with guys on this forum as most share similar experiences, are well informed and very helpful. Maybe you should take notes then go be a smart ass somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attempt22