G65 manual level control and springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I finally got the springs today. I called a shop about installation and they quoted me $250. Seemed a lil high so I am just going to do them myself. I got a big 3 ton and small 3 ton jack, 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands and spring compressor. what's the best way to attack these things? I'm thinking I will need to relieve the pressure on the springs by resting the truck on the jackstands and lowering the rear axle. Of course unbolting the shock for more travel. will the spring just come out or will it need to be compressed? trying to save myself some headache as I'm sure the bilstein spring is taller and may need to be compressed to install.

OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually its very easy. no need for a spring compressor. they are not coilovers. seems like that shop has no idea when the suspension in the rear looks like, or they think its front springs when these trucks dont have front springs.

get the rear of the truck in the air with jackstands on the frame. then support the rear end with a jack. remove the lower shock bolts, slowly lower the rear, remove springs, install new spring, jack up rear and reinstall the shock bolts. shouldnt take more than 30 minutes.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually its very easy. no need for a spring compressor. they are not coilovers. seems like that shop has no idea when the suspension in the rear looks like, or they think its front springs when these trucks dont have front springs.

get the rear of the truck in the air with jackstands on the frame. then support the rear end with a jack. remove the lower shock bolts, slowly lower the rear, remove springs, install new spring, jack up rear and reinstall the shock bolts. shouldnt take more than 30 minutes.

Thanks for your help Jason. I followed ur post to the letter and everything went as planned. I had to pull the wheels off and it was close to freezing temps so it took a Lil longer than 30mins lol but I'm happy I did this myself.

The shock spring combo seems a lil softer than stock initially but stiffens up significantly when cornering. Overall ride is much better and the rear stays planted. It feels like a car on the freeway now.

I'm a happy camper. This forum has got me into my hoe again. I stopped modding after thieves broke in and stole my stereo and tore up my interior. Took forever to get my alarm, stereo and ignition working right. Either way I'm ready to do some go fast stuff and led, HIDs.

Attachments

• left spring.jpg
    left spring.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 80
  • right spring.jpg
    right spring.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

tater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you order the bilstein coil springs from? i looked on the internet and could not find a place that sold them.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from shockwarehouse, but they had to order them from Bilstein. I don't think anyone has them in stock and you can't order directly from Bilstein unless your a dealer. Be prepared to wait a couple of weeks for them.

tahoe04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered the bilstien # 199021 from summit Jan 21st 2010 at that time they were two weeks out. Today I called Summit and Bilstien hopes to ship them by late April. Any body else have luck on these springs or any other spring that may be similar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito

Latest posts