Full fuel tank, missing and stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon96

Reaction score
:eek:I read somewhere that only when the fuel tank is filled above, say, three quarters, that a bad sensor can cause an issue with idle and the feel of missing while driving at low rpm. I'm thinking FPR, but can't remember for sure. This is currently my issue. It seems the lower the tank is the better she runs. Any insight on this will be appreciated greatly.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
What year are we talking first? There is actually a fuel tank pressure switch for the evap system in the later years but regardless you will not have the proper equipment to test it. I would check your fuel pressure and make sure your charcoal canister is not full of fuel.

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
It's a 1996 Yukon 2dr vortex 350. I'll check the canister. It's down to about 3/4 of a tank now and running great again, for the last couple of days. Maybe fuel pressure switch than?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the 96 does not have a tank pressure sensor so ignore that idea. I can only think that the canister is full of fuel or something in the evap system from the engine intake to the tank is a goof.

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
I'll check the canister first thing tomorrow and let ya know what it looks like. Thanks for the help, Sun.

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I pulled the canister, no fuel in it, that I can tell. Put a tire pump on it and air flows through it. Do ya suppose it could be the canister purge valve on the intake. Again, It only does this when the fuel tank is about full. Less that half a tank right now, and running great.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well the purge valve is higher then the canister so if no fuel in the canister I doubt it is making it way up the line and perhaps vapor locking. If you can get access to a fuel pressure gauge it would help rule out tank problems if you could measure the running pressure at various tank levels. My thinking with this is that the pump or it power flow might be getting choked with a large amount of gas in the tank. I know it sounds weird but damaged wiring on the pump module can cause that. Looking back at TSB's I see nothing related to your problem so it is likely not a widespread issue. You can borrow with a deposit a gauge from autozone. The tap is located on the fuel lines on top top of the engine to the left and rear of the throttle body. It will have a black cap on it as show on this picture borrow from the net shown below.

Assembled.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OuttaGass