Fuel Tank replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpm66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99 2dr, recently had some crazy fuel odor only when the tan was full. Decided to replace the tank and the pump/sending unit.

I'm in this Tahoe for the long haul, its 20 years old so if I am pulling something to replace it I figure I'll get other parts at the same time. The Tahoe has 320,000 miles on it, so odds are it needs it. I've heard some crazy stories about the sending units going bad.

Finally got the tank out, that was not fun. So many rusted bolts just with the tank shield. So I have the tank out, but not sure how to remove the two cream colored plugs. I am pointing at one of them. Tried twisting, that isn't it, and I'm sure they are hard to find.

Appreciate any advice here, I'm not in a rush, the new tank won't be in for a few days.
Rodger

IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3610.JPG

OP
OP
rpm66

rpm66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the new tank today, I took a picture of the hole where the connector goes in, looks like I need to ensure it is one position to pull the connector out. Thought I'd share in case someone else has an issue latter.

IMG_3612.JPG

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2 door tank can be purchased from rockauto for 107 bucks tax and shipping included. well shipping to my house atleast

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new tank today, I took a picture of the hole where the connector goes in, looks like I need to ensure it is one position to pull the connector out. Thought I'd share in case someone else has an issue latter.

View attachment 212929
those vents just twist out I believe a quater turn I just did the same job for the same reason smelling fuel. You can buy new ones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645