Fuel tank PROBLEM need advise/thoughts please gents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyv8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003 Yukon 5.3 flex SLT 171200 miels
had a fuel leak only when full. started having a stalling issue while driving, figured id tackle the fuel system today. I only have a couple days to finish this truck as I need the vehicle for work.
finally removed the fuel filter to find black fuel coming from it. so I think this is my stalling issue.
I dropped the tank to find the leak. I have a replacement pump because of the miles and age and still being a factory pump.
well my leak is because the lock ring had disintegrated to near nothing. barely being held in place with what remains of 2 thin heavily rusted tabs. the other 2 tabs are gone. my pump had lifted on the 1 side and was the cause of the fuel leak only when full.

now my problem is I need a tank. I cant not have this truck for too long as this will prevent me from what I need to do. the tank is days out. and today being Saturday, that will prolong this even more. local parts stores don't even have a listing for the tank.

can I install the new pump, gasket, and new lock ring with a couple short bolts to hold it in place. the area the lock ring locks into seems pretty thick and how im thinking is as long as I don't go through and into the tank it may be ok. the tank is over 700 and I honestly cant swing that right now, nor can I wait the time it will take to get here. I have to much going on that I need the rig for I just cant be without it.

thanks for any tips or insight to my issue at hand

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, I would try it with the new lock ring and some fine thread screws and IMO it does not matter if the end of the screws get to the inside of the tank. Make sure the o-ring is new as well. Lube the o-ring to ease the lock ring install. If you have black fuel it is also an indication of a badly dirty tank and should be cleaned out as much as possible. The lines can be blown out while apart. Disconnect at the engine area and blow back to tank if can. The injectors are also going to be needed when you get a new tank and replacing the fuel lines is also needed. That will be a big expensive job and you should change fuel source as well. What brand and octane fuel do you run?

How do you "bolt" in a lock ring? No way to do a bolt and a nut.

OP
OP
C

chevyv8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wrong words to use. I know I cant use nuts and bolts. what the idea was to use short but long enough screws to hold the ring down.
no there isn't enough material to hold the lock ring down. I have 2 barely there metal tabs remaining.
1 tab is so weak and thin, it already bent up after putting on the new lock ring. the second tab isn't enough to hold it in place. I will try screws through the ring and into the seat.
at this point I have no other choice.
gm is expensive and the only supplier, but also to far out for me to get
after market is not available
junkyards in my area, although they exist, ive called and none are open. aside from that, id be concerned about the condition being these trucks are pushing 20 years old now.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's as bad as you say, I'd try to maybe drill (using a small bit) the ring and tank, then use pole barn screws to pull it together.
I'd wager the black fuel is road grime that was washed into the tank when gasoline worked it's way by to oring and pulled back in as the level went down.
The stalling may have been moisture in to tank from the bad oring ad well.
If you are definitely getting a new tank, I'd almost recommend cleaning the top of the old one with steel wool and wipe it down well. After that you need to maybe use duct tape or some other quality tape to seal the lock ring area since it's not sealed properly moisture may still work it's way in.

OP
OP
C

chevyv8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well the job is done for now. I ended up flipping the ring upside down and drilling in 4 spots.
drilled into the top portion of the tank just past the impregnated metal and ran screws through the ring into the top of the tank. pulled the pump down as tight as I can. it does not move in any direction. installed the new filter and hit the key. let it prime, checked for pressure leaks with nothing noticed and let her rip. she fired right up.
ill go drive her tomorrow and see how she runs.
the filter is at least 8 years old. ive been slacking on maint for a bit and keeping the truck clean as ive been incredibly busy. time to change these habits though. we'll see how it runs and drives tomorrow.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW you can find used tanks for around $300 on EBay. I would get one and have it on hand because corrosion will probably finish off what it started and your fix probably won’t hold up when it does. You just need to find one that’s coming from a place where salt isn’t used on the roads. I dropped the tank on my 02 a year ago and it still looked like new up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayden with 2011 y