fuel pump relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier I got my fuel pump replaced recently. It turned out to be a dud and was replaced again. My misfire is gone now and my ses light is off. But my truck is still running funny. When I start it after it has been sitting for a while (over night) it cranks for about 7 seconds before it fires up. Also if I shut it off and immediately try to restart it it will crank for about 5 seconds before it will fire up. But if I kill it wait about 15 seconds and try to start it I will start up right away.

Before the fuel pump was replaced it would start right up after sitting over night. So does this sound like a relay issue, or does it sound like I need a 3rd fuel pump this week? Btw I can hear the pump kick on when I turn the key, but I'm thinking the relay may have a bad connection?

Reaction score
I've had relay problems too, how does the connector in the relay center look (where the fuel pump relay plugs in)? I had to adjust mine. The bad relay melted some on the plastic on the housing.

OP
OP
destroyer1362

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
I really have no idea now.. It looks like the relay was replaced, but it still cranks for about 7 seconds on a cold start. Do you know if I could swap it out w/ the a/c relay just to see if the fuel pump one is bad?

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
That's an excellent question. I have no idea. You might consider putting a guage on your fuel line, and see if you're maintaining pressurewhile cranking. I believe our rigs maintain fuel pressure even when they're off, too, but don't take my word.

This might also not be fuel related at all. When was the last time you did the plugs and wires? It wouldn't hurt to pull a couple out, and look at them...

OP
OP
destroyer1362

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
Cap, rotor, wires, and plugs (ACDelco) were all done less than 1k miles ago. Is it possible the second fuel pump he installed was a dud? When I turn the key on in the morning I can hear the pump, but it sounds like it's having a hard time running. After it starts up and then I kill it it sounds like the pump is running faster. If that makes sense. I'll try to make a vid of it..

Reaction score
I really have no idea now.. It looks like the relay was replaced, but it still cranks for about 7 seconds on a cold start. Do you know if I could swap it out w/ the a/c relay just to see if the fuel pump one is bad?

I'm not 100% sure but i think they are 2 different relays. I think (from memory) that the a/c relay is a 4 pin relay and the fuel pump relay is 5 or 6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700