Fuel filter feed line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im lost as to why you want to drop the tank to fix a twisted line at the very end of the line.

the doorman kit comes with like a foot of nylon line on it to cut to fit and a compression fitting.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
im lost as to why you want to drop the tank to fix a twisted line at the very end of the line.

the doorman kit comes with like a foot of nylon line on it to cut to fit and a compression fitting.

18" from what I read. But he already has the tank down for the fuel pump replacement, IIRC.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
I noticed it was hard to find on Amazon. You try Napa? I found it at my local store and they delivered it same day for free.
I managed to get 10 feet of 3/8 nylon hose from Napa. I also got Dorman 800-157 fuel line repair which is 30” of steel tube with the filter flare fitting on one end.

As of now I cut the vinyl supply line from the pump and joined it to the vinyl line I bough with a vinyl press on connector. I plan to fish the vinyl line up and over the cross member in front of the tank before putting the tank back. I will then install the 30” tube to filter and bend it as needed so that I have a straigh shot to join the steel line to the vinyl with a compression fitting.

Only problem I am having now is that I couldn’t get the fuel filter outlet to disconnect from the quick connector. I decided therefore to cut the outlet tube off of the filter so I can get the disconnect tool in there without a problem. Issue is that I cut off too much of the tube so I am having a hard time getting it out of the quick connector. Doesn’t help that it is freezing rain as I try to do this! Once the weather clears my plan is to get the disconnect tool on and then grab the tube with needle nose vice grips to remove it

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score

The tank is already down as I swapped out the fuel pump. The problem I am having is the line that goes from the front of the gas tank to the filter snapped when I was removing the filter. The entire steel piece from the filter back was rotted so there is nothing to tie the nylon tube into. So I need a new metal line with the flare nut fitting for the filter before I can convert to nylon. But I also have to make some pretty good bends in the steel like - a 35*bend right at the filter, a 70-90 bend to get the steel pipe elevated, another 90* bend to get it pointed towards the vinyl line that comes over the crossmember so that I can have a straight connection for the compression fitting.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I managed to get 10 feet of 3/8 nylon hose from Napa. I also got Dorman 800-157 fuel line repair which is 30” of steel tube with the filter flare fitting on one end.

As of now I cut the vinyl supply line from the pump and joined it to the vinyl line I bough with a vinyl press on connector. I plan to fish the vinyl line up and over the cross member in front of the tank before putting the tank back. I will then install the 30” tube to filter and bend it as needed so that I have a straigh shot to join the steel line to the vinyl with a compression fitting.

Only problem I am having now is that I couldn’t get the fuel filter outlet to disconnect from the quick connector. I decided therefore to cut the outlet tube off of the filter so I can get the disconnect tool in there without a problem. Issue is that I cut off too much of the tube so I am having a hard time getting it out of the quick connector. Doesn’t help that it is freezing rain as I try to do this! Once the weather clears my plan is to get the disconnect tool on and then grab the tube with needle nose vice grips to remove it

Sometimes it helps to push in slightly on the fuel line (and maybe rotate it to break it free) in order to flex the plastic keeper a little as you use the disconnect tool. Good luck with it!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it helps to push in slightly on the fuel line (and maybe rotate it to break it free) in order to flex the plastic keeper a little as you use the disconnect tool. Good luck with it!

Probably rusted too bad. That's the problem I had. Metal line was fused to the connector from rust. Impossible to remove.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Sometimes it helps to push in slightly on the fuel line (and maybe rotate it to break it free) in order to flex the plastic keeper a little as you use the disconnect tool. Good luck with it!I
It is a little hard to get because of space and because the disconnected line flips around. I am going to use a pair of locking pliers or something to hold the line still that should allow me to get in there with the disconnect tool. I will try pushing in on the tube as I go. The problem is i didn’t leave a lot of tube sticking out of the disconnect to grab onto...

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Probably rusted too bad. That's the problem I had. Metal line was fused to the connector from rust. Impossible to remove.
Actually the line on the fron side of the filter is quite clean. The challenge is that there is not much room to operate up in there.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tank is already down as I swapped out the fuel pump. The problem I am having is the line that goes from the front of the gas tank to the filter snapped when I was removing the filter. The entire steel piece from the filter back was rotted so there is nothing to tie the nylon tube into. So I need a new metal line with the flare nut fitting for the filter before I can convert to nylon. But I also have to make some pretty good bends in the steel like - a 35*bend right at the filter, a 70-90 bend to get the steel pipe elevated, another 90* bend to get it pointed towards the vinyl line that comes over the crossmember so that I can have a straight connection for the compression fitting.
you can buy whats called nicopp line. its very soft, easy to bend/shape it to your needs. comes with the ends flared and the line nut.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
you can buy whats called nicopp line. its very soft, easy to bend/shape it to your needs. comes with the ends flared and the line nut.
I looked at Nickel Copper but the problem I found was that the pre flared lines are flared for brake applications not the gym filter - the flare for the gym filter has a rubber seal on the flare. Only the Dorman steel had that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21