Fuel filter feed line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Got pics of what you are dealing with? Line sizes? Steel lines or plastic? What kind of connectors? If you have a tight bend an option is to make a large loop.
Can’t get a pic at the moment. It is steel. Sit is a short steel line that goes from the fuel supply line to the fuel filter. It connects to the filter and to the fuel supply line from the fuel pump sending unit.

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
So this is what year truck?

It sounds like this is the line from the fuel tank to the filter (the output of the filter goes to the Flex Fuel sensor, correct?)

If that's it, on my '04 there's a connection right in front of the fuel tank but it's impossible to get to it without dropping the tank. You can reach around the xmember and feel it, but no way are you getting it apart without some more clearance. I wish I'd have taken pics when I had my tank out. Anyway, replacing that line would be IMHO the best way to repair. Might need to see a dealer about the part number
So this is what year truck?

It sounds like this is the line from the fuel tank to the filter (the output of the filter goes to the Flex Fuel sensor, correct?)

If that's it, on my '04 there's a connection right in front of the fuel tank but it's impossible to get to it without dropping the tank. You can reach around the xmember and feel it, but no way are you getting it apart without some more clearance. I wish I'd have taken pics when I had my tank out. Anyway, replacing that line would be IMHO the best way to repair. Might need to see a dealer about the part number.
It is an 03 - and you are exactly right. It is the short tube that goes from the fuel connection at front of tank to the inlet of the filter. I am just changed the fuel pump and just have the tank supported by a jack so it’s no problem to get it out. I will get the tube out and see if it is good enough to adapter to nylon

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Pic of the broken feed line and connector?

If you can adapt the broken steel line to nylon, you could possibly use a fuel filter that has quick-connects on both ends. Essentially eliminate the threaded connector.
How would one know what filter is suitable?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the part number we used in the 3800 world, for this type of upgrade. cant see the line size being different really. these cars even ran larger injectors then our trucks.

pics in post 3. part #'s for all parts needed.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your pressure line is 3/8"; the return line is 5/16". Seems like you could bypass that mid-connector and go straight from the fuel module to the filter if routing permits. The fuel lines snap off the retainers on top of the tank so when you remove the tank they can stay on the truck. I'm sure you know that by now.

The Flex Fuel evap lines can all stay on the tank to drop it; you just have to disconnect the lines in the front at the charcoal canister, and the vent valve at the rear.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of curious -- on yours, is there a removable screen on the fuel tank inlet? Mine has this, and would probably prevent siphoning.

2021-08-15 Fill Tube Screen_resized.jpg

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
Kind of curious -- on yours, is there a removable screen on the fuel tank inlet? Mine has this, and would probably prevent siphoning.

View attachment 362349
Yes, it has that screen and that is exactly what it is for. For the Evap lines I just disconnect the 2 evap lines from the tank and pop them out of the clips that run along the side of the tank and that way I don’t even have to touch the evap cannister. I tried removing lines from canister but couldn’t get my hand up there.

I may just go from the fuel pump to the filter directly with Nylon and bypass that stupid connector above the crossmember but it depends on the condition of the existing tube.

Seems I have 4 options:

1- new factory line if I can find one

2- cut old tube back, flare end and replace broken bit with new steel

3- same as 2 but with compression fitting or nylon union

4- replace entire tube with nylon from either the front of the tank or the sending unit to the filter.

Question 1: can I use the Dorman nylon union to connect two pieces of steel tube? Like to connect a clean section from the broken tube to a new piece of tubing?

Question 2: If I did just replace the entire tube with nylon would I just buy a small piece of 3/8” tube with the fuel filter fitting on it and use a union to join it to the nylon?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I was doing this, and for simplicity's sake, I'd replace the entire line, as in Question 2, using a long line and the connectors that @89Suburban posted; no splices. That's as long as routing allows no rub points. Same fittings on both ends with a double quick-connect filter.

As an alternative I suppose you could also just add an extension to the good part of the line using the metal splice and connector that is available. I forget, is the feed line from the fuel module nylon, and it converts to metal at the splice in front of the tank?

89Suburban Photo.jpg

OP
OP
S

silky28

Reaction score
so here is a pic of what is left of the tube. I assume the yellow piece is a seal for the quick connect?9C9A378A-3762-4196-B443-4A39DC2D77E1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo