Fuel Cap tighten message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep getting the "tighten fuel cap" error alert. I used to have the problem of not able to fill gas tank. I have replaced the evap at the rear of the vehicle, the charcoal canister (blew out all the beads) and the one at the engine (dont remember the name of it). All this fixed my fuel fill problem. I also replaced the gas cap with an ac delco one.
I put a smoker on it and the only place smoke comes out is at the rear evap (I think this is normal??).

Assuming the smoke is supposed to come out the evap with engine off (I tried with key on as well) than I am at a loss on what to check next.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe try putting a factory gas cap back on it first, that's probably the cheaper option

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purge valve (intake manifold side) normally closed, Evap vent (fuel tank side) normally open. So, yes unless you manually close the Evap vent with a scan tool then it’s going to be open. UNLESS it’s running a monitor in which it will close the vent and the pcm will continuously monitor the fuel tank pressure sensor.

When it comes to smoking the system, remove the schrader valve from the test port and use that to pump the smoke, DO NOT touch the gas cap, leave the vent valve open until you start to see smoke and then close the vent valve. The entire system should now be roughly filled, slowly check all lines from front to back. The reason you don’t want to disturb the gas cap is that it could be leaking and then when you fiddle with it the damn thing may seal properly.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"remove the schrader valve from the test port and use that to pump the smoke" Is that schrader valve on the purge valve?

"leave the vent valve open until you start to see smoke and then close the vent valve" Where is this vent valve?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Evap test port has the green cap on it. Looks like a little green valve cap. It’ll be on the Black Evap line that runs to the purge valve that is on the intake manifold.

The vent valve has to be commanded closed with a scan tool. It’s the Evap vent valve solenoid I believe is gm’s name for it.

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, I don't have a scan tool though...
I replaced the gas cap, the solenoid near the rear axle and the valve on the engine and that fixed it. Replacing the gas cap alone, the easiest of the 3, did not fix it.

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the gas cap, the solenoid near the rear axle and the valve on the engine and that fixed it. Replacing the gas cap alone, the easiest of the 3, did not fix it.
I now see you've tried all these also. Sorry.