Front wheels skipping when turning tight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 4x4 burban.

I have had a recent issue when I start my truck and turn sharply out my drive way at slow speeds. It's sounds and feels like the front tires are sliding. Almost like the front diff is locked up, or the tire is rubbing on something.

I looked for signs of rubbing. I saw nothing.

Could it be somehow the brake is engaging on one side and pulsing to make it feel like it's skipping?

Is it likely it is the diff?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how is the wear on yer front tires? are they wearing kinda at an angle?
when you look head on how do the front tires sit kinda like this \ /
does the steering feel kinda squirrelly driving down the road

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

i think more likely you have an alignment issue
mine used to do that before i had my alignm,ent done

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you in 2wd or 4wd? Could be that or a cv joint binding or tire wear or alignment or steering/suspension component. Or......

Stiffler63

Reaction score
My 96 2wd excab c1500 has done this the hole time iv owned it thought it was from the narrow tires and the length of the truck

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing with my 02 tahoe hard left or hard right when the alignment was out they did it bad and with the old tires now with new tires and good alignment they dont really do it anymore plus i found out one of my wheel bearings was bad aswell it seemed to go away after that

Asokpara

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same rhing happen with my 05 denali i had a bad alignment and also had to replace my idler arm and pitman arm now it is perfect...
I have a 1999 4x4 burban.

I have had a recent issue when I start my truck and turn sharply out my drive way at slow speeds. It's sounds and feels like the front tires are sliding. Almost like the front diff is locked up, or the tire is rubbing on something.

I looked for signs of rubbing. I saw nothing.

Could it be somehow the brake is engaging on one side and pulsing to make it feel like it's skipping?

Is it likely it is the diff?

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it on my 02 Denali. If all your steering links have been replaced recently and/or are tight, my guess is its an alignment issue. For me, everything is "within spec" but spec has pretty wide tolerances and I have some pretty low offset wheels resulting in my scrub radius being pushed out, so I dont necessarily believe somewhere within GM spec is always correct.

When was the last alignment and do you have an alignment sheet that you can post?

Generally toe is what will cause the skipping when its an alignment issue. I have one side with some toe-in and the other with some pretty bad toe-out. I'm thinking thats the problem. I've been meaning to get an alignment to see if I'm right, but I've been lazy and theres been a lot of ice in Portland lately. When I do, I will make sure toe is at Zero or a little toe-out evenly on both sides and I'll have the rest set to silverado ss specs to get my moneys worth.

Also, are you 100% sure you're not stuck in 4wd? Honestly it could be a lot of things or a combination of a few.

Hambone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. I put new tire on and problem solved. Also check your sway bar links. They may have play in them. I would recommend replacing them 11. Bucks each at auto zone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667