Front upper control arm options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWR Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2007 Avalanche is lowered 3" up front with McGaughy's spindles and belltech drop struts. Struts are only a few months old, I got tired of blowing the factory autoride struts. Whole front end was rebuilt with GM parts about two years ago. Have had no alignment issues.

When changing a fog light bulb the other day I noticed crazy wear on the inside of the left front tire and diagnosed a blown upper control arm bushing. I could just replace the bushings, replace the whole control arm, or do aftermarket upper control arms on both sides.

IMG_2043.jpg IMG_2055.jpg

Other than the DJM CA2507U arms, I can't seen to find any "stock" aftermarket upper arms (i.e. not lift or lowering upper arms). And I haven't been able to find much feedback on the DJM arms. Are there options out there I'm missing?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if all of the geometry is back to stock tolerance why not just replace the bushings with polyurethane?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on going any lower?

MOOG makes OE replacement arms.

OP
OP
M

MWR Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if all of the geometry is back to stock tolerance why not just replace the bushings with polyurethane?

I may do that, it's one of the options. It would be simpler to bolt in new uppers than have to pull both the uppers and lowers to do the bushings when they are only 2y old.

Are you planning on going any lower?

MOOG makes OE replacement arms.

Probably not going any lower. I'm not inclined to do OE/MOOG again since I've had this unexplained failure after the last replacement.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may do that, it's one of the options. It would be simpler to bolt in new uppers than have to pull both the uppers and lowers to do the bushings when they are only 2y old.

Probably not going any lower. I'm not inclined to do OE/MOOG again since I've had this unexplained failure after the last replacement.

Why would you have to pull both upper and lowers?
Are all your bushings looking rough?
Was everything replaced two years ago?

Is the arm with the blown bushing a MOOG?

MMW has some drop control arms but, you don't have that much of a drop.
There's a few replacements but the majority are OE replacements.

OP
OP
M

MWR Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why would you have to pull both upper and lowers?
Are all your bushings looking rough?
Was everything replaced two years ago?

Is the arm with the blown bushing a MOOG?

MMW has some drop control arms but, you don't have that much of a drop.
There's a few replacements but the majority are OE replacements.

Only those bushings in the driver's UCA show wear, the entire front end was rebuilt with OE components.

I'm leaning towards doing just the front control arm bushings with the Energy Suspension kit, although last time I did this it was cheaper to buy new arms than it was to pay labor for the bushing replacement. Especially since I'm 4wd with the drop spindles because the upper ball joint stud needs to be trimmed off after installation. So both front axles need to come out as well. Seems like a ton of hassle for one UCA bushing but I want to do it right.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t replaced the bushings but have the drop spindles cut already. Why do the axles have to come out? Just wondering for later.

OP
OP
M

MWR Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t replaced the bushings but have the drop spindles cut already. Why do the axles have to come out? Just wondering for later.

I believe the axles need to come out to install and then trim the upper ball joint when using drop spindles.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only those bushings in the driver's UCA show wear, the entire front end was rebuilt with OE components.

I'm leaning towards doing just the front control arm bushings with the Energy Suspension kit, although last time I did this it was cheaper to buy new arms than it was to pay labor for the bushing replacement. Especially since I'm 4wd with the drop spindles because the upper ball joint stud needs to be trimmed off after installation. So both front axles need to come out as well. Seems like a ton of hassle for one UCA bushing but I want to do it right.

Oh ok gotcha.

It sounds like replacing the bushings would be the easiest route to go. Then you wouldn't have to worry about trimming the new ball joints.
I'd definitely replace both uppers, especially if your going with an aftermarket bushing.
Are you paying someone to do the work for you?
Are you going to be installing the spindles or are they already on?

OP
OP
M

MWR Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh ok gotcha.

It sounds like replacing the bushings would be the easiest route to go. Then you wouldn't have to worry about trimming the new ball joints.
I'd definitely replace both uppers, especially if your going with an aftermarket bushing.
Are you paying someone to do the work for you?
Are you going to be installing the spindles or are they already on?

That's what I decided to do since I've got the original aluminum LCAs from when I rebuilt everything the first time. I've got a buddy with a shop so I'll get in there to do it whenever he's got a lift free. The spindles have been on for about 2 years, before that I had ground force drop springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs