Front Sway Bar Bushings : 10mm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a hardened bit and cutting oil... ? Start drilling??

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of mine snapped the head off 18 months or so ago. Several months later my buddy and I bush fixed it, welded a flange onto the end of the bracket, drilled a new hole and then drilled a new hole into the frame and captured it with a nut and washer.

The old grade 8 bolt has eaten $54 worth of special drill bits and resisted all efforts to weld a nut to it. It sticks proud from the frame on both ends.

The bush fix has held but the bracket is a little lower and think it has thrown the alignment off slightly. One of these days I'll get it fixed, have new brackets and bolts for it, just need a guy strong enough to remove that rusted remnant then we'll chase the threads and hopefully look like it never even happened. Darn Yankee winters!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a hardened bit and cutting oil... ? Start drilling??

Yep!

I started with a 1/4” bit and then stepped up. If you are lucky, and can keep it centered, you may get the busted part to release. Mine drifted and got into the threads which is why I just drilled it out bigger and put a bit on the back.

Watch out for the metal shavings. They will be hot and will burn your face and neck if you’re not careful.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of mine snapped the head off 18 months or so ago. Several months later my buddy and I bush fixed it, welded a flange onto the end of the bracket, drilled a new hole and then drilled a new hole into the frame and captured it with a nut and washer.

The old grade 8 bolt has eaten $54 worth of special drill bits and resisted all efforts to weld a nut to it. It sticks proud from the frame on both ends.

The bush fix has held but the bracket is a little lower and think it has thrown the alignment off slightly. One of these days I'll get it fixed, have new brackets and bolts for it, just need a guy strong enough to remove that rusted remnant then we'll chase the threads and hopefully look like it never even happened. Darn Yankee winters!

This Suburban has spent its life in PA and MD. Rust is anywhere ya care to look.

These bolts are serious duty. I will first flush cut with angle grinder. Then I bought a cobalt bolt extractor. It has a nice self centering piece with it... Get it started and try a few drill bits.

I imagine the other side will see two broken bolts, too.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont guess at drilling it straight get an auto center punch and do that a few times dead center and when you step drill it you will be able to pick the treads out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcutter004

Latest posts