Front Strut Mod vs. springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bodymccannx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Working with an Autoride truck that I would like to retain Autoride on. Trying to figure what would be the real difference b/w using Tony's strut mod or simply installing the Belltech front springs (for a total 3" drop with spindles). Both methods would result in the strut shaft being in the same position in the strut body; would the Belltech springs simply be stiffer? In that case, if I were after a stiffer ride, the springs would be the best option, correct?

Any ideas?
Mark

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys. Working with an Autoride truck that I would like to retain Autoride on. Trying to figure what would be the real difference b/w using Tony's strut mod or simply installing the Belltech front springs (for a total 3" drop with spindles). Both methods would result in the strut shaft being in the same position in the strut body; would the Belltech springs simply be stiffer? In that case, if I were after a stiffer ride, the springs would be the best option, correct?

Any ideas?
Mark

ive had this on my escalade and many others for a while now with no issue. Do the front drop spindles belltech along with the camber kit from belltech. I have a sale this weekend so if interested hit me back.

remember for 1 inch lower on the strut you only machine .62 lower than the oem mount so honestly the shaft stroke is not that affected and also ride still stays nice since your keeping the oem springs in front.

OP
OP
B

bodymccannx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is already lowered 2/3 with Belltech spindles front, Belltech springs rear (spacer currently in), DJM rear kit, Eibach sways Fr/Rr. I have already emailed you Tony re: a Black Wed. price for the Spohn Panhard.

I sometimes feel that I would like a firmer ride than stock in front and wonder if the Belltech springs would do that.?

Mark

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
due to the autoride the truck when coming down in front it picks that up and shock gets stiffer.

OP
OP
B

bodymccannx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, your explanation of the strut mod (on your Escalade Build thread), any good machinist would be able to understand and complete without destroying the strut, right? Any special instructions they need to be told?

Mark

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, your explanation of the strut mod (on your Escalade Build thread), any good machinist would be able to understand and complete without destroying the strut, right? Any special instructions they need to be told?

Mark

Yes but remember you need to hold the shaft still while you unloosen the bolt because if not you will snap the autoride shaft and there goes 300 bucks.

OP
OP
B

bodymccannx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! - funny you say that! The current struts on my truck will NOT come apart. My mechanic has tried everything, including holding the shaft with vice grips and the top nut just will not budge. As we don't want to damage the strut, I am searching Ebay for a good set of Orange Autorides - so far best price is $700 for a new set.

Mark

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I made a tool out of a 18mm socket and bent a bar and welded it to the socket. Thing works like a charm for the past 6 years on the autoride trucks.

main thing you need to release some tenstion ie spring compressor
then get the 18mm socket with the bar on it (2 45 dregree angles)
then on top hold it with a wrech so doesnt spin

comes right off.

OP
OP
B

bodymccannx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds easy enough, and we will be taking them apart for either the springs or strut mod, but I almost need a spare set of struts on hand in case one breaks at this point - can't have the truck down and waiting for replacements.

Did you get my email about the Spohn panhard?
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401