Front seat belt latch replacement 1992 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Front seat driver's side seat belt latch quit working this morning. Will not retain the metal tongue. Bucket seats/console.

Pulled the seat belt with latch and 2-wire harness (console too just to make room to work).

Chevrolet dealer near me says GM obsoleted the part (lol yeah).

Have not located a used replacement on eBay.

Anybody got an idea where to get a replacement? Garnet Red would be nice but I'm not picky.

Has been my DD for twenty-seven years and things like this are beginning to happen.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Front seat driver's side seat belt latch quit working this morning. Will not retain the metal tongue. Bucket seats/console.

Pulled the seat belt with latch and 2-wire harness (console too just to make room to work).

Chevrolet dealer near me says GM obsoleted the part (lol yeah).

Have not located a used replacement on eBay.

Anybody got an idea where to get a replacement? Garnet Red would be nice but I'm not picky.

Has been my DD for twenty-seven years and things like this are beginning to happen.
I would be hitting up junk yards in your area.

OP
OP
S

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wjburken, your search-fu is superior to mine. Found several possible candidates.

Thank You guys again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before you replace that thing did you try lubing it? spray inside it with some wd40 and then jamm that clip in & out there about 20-30 times (or more) and see if starts working again, (it's worked before)

OP
OP
S

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doubeleive, yes tried aerosol Royal Purple lubricant and did not fix the problem. Disassembling the latch mechanism, a spring and white molded plastic part seem to be broken/separated. I cannot determine how those parts are supposed to fit back together and they are enclosed in a metal frame so working on them is problematic. With the possibility of breaking the white molded part I may try anyway. Nothing to lose.

OP
OP
S

Sierra977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Managed to disassemble the latch without breaking any parts. LOL this latch is a puzzle. Anyone got a link to a drawing showing how the parts go together?

Or... like the genius my dog thinks I am I will pull the passenger side latch and see if that shows me how the parts go together.

ETA: Yup. It's broken. Off to eBay.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645