Front fender to ground measurement before and after spindle drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, exactly. In theory, if you measure in the same spot, before and after, just above the spindle, you should get 2" drop.

However, there are still too many variables to this. When was it measured for the "pre" measurement:
Right after bringing home the kids and a bunch of groceries (springs compressed and not relaxed)
After a long road trip (tires warmed up and expanded a bit)
After being jacked up, oops forgot to measure, and lowered again to measure before to work bring done (suspension stretched and relaxed)
Human error (need I say more)
Uneven ground- but hey, it looks level (subtle but real weight redistribution)

You get the point. And, don't forget the WTF factor. **** happens. For too many cosmic reasons, things just don't seem to work out the way they should on paper (or garage floors).

I assume that that is why manufacturers always say "3 to3-1/2" instead of specifically stating 3". It's CYA legalese. Is it a 2" drop spindle, yes. Will it lower the spindle 2", yes. After that, it's beyond their control.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize the other variables but was focusing strictly on the spindles. The way it was worded was that a 2" spindle on a 2WD yields 2" of drop, but that same 2" spindle on a 4WD yields 1.5"-1.625" of drop.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize the other variables but was focusing strictly on the spindles. The way it was worded was that a 2" spindle on a 2WD yields 2" of drop, but that same 2" spindle on a 4WD yields 1.5"-1.625" of drop.

Yeah, that one I don't get...

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However, there are still too many variables to this. When was it measured for the "pre" measurement:
Right after bringing home the kids and a bunch of groceries (springs compressed and not relaxed)
After a long road trip (tires warmed up and expanded a bit)
After being jacked up, oops forgot to measure, and lowered again to measure before to work bring done (suspension stretched and relaxed)
Human error (need I say more)
Uneven ground- but hey, it looks level (subtle but real weight redistribution)

None of that really matters. Those are moot points. If you install a 2” drop spindle, the front end lowers 2”. Period. It might sit taller or shorter than JimBobs rig next door, but your vehicle will indeed drop 2”.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of that really matters. Those are moot points. If you install a 2” drop spindle, the front end lowers 2”. Period. It might sit taller or shorter than JimBobs rig next door, but your vehicle will indeed drop 2”.

Well, then, can you explain why it is not necessarily so?

There is "should" and then there is "real world."

This ought to be good...

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, then, can you explain why it is not necessarily so?

There is "should" and then there is "real world."

This ought to be good...

Yes, I sure can.

“Real world” is 2” drop spindles drop the front 2”. Period. No ifs ands or buts about it. If not, then they are not 2” drop spindles.

“Should”, as I am understanding it, is the guys that use 2” drop spindles and then wonder why their rig does not look as low as the guy who also dropped the rear of their ride. Or its not as low as the guy who used the same drop spindles who also has shorter factory springs then their rig has.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I sure can.

“Real world” is 2” drop spindles drop the front 2”. Period. No ifs ands or buts about it. If not, then they are not 2” drop spindles.

“Should”, as I am understanding it, is the guys that use 2” drop spindles and then wonder why their rig does not look as low as the guy who also dropped the rear of their ride. Or its not as low as the guy who used the same drop spindles who also has shorter factory springs then their rig has.

Since this whole thread is about front fender-to-ground measurements before and after drop, I was answering the question. Correctly, I might add.

OP
OP
R

roccos_van

Reaction score
Could one say that for eg if I ordered 26" wheels and tires which are an inch taller than stock, that even when the front drops 2 inches it will sit only 1.5 inches lower than with factory tires?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could one say that for eg if I ordered 26" wheels and tires which are an inch taller than stock, that even when the front drops 2 inches it will sit only 1.5 inches lower than with factory tires?

Probably, yes.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, high school geometry enters the picture...

Thats right. X-2 equals 2 less than X. Every time.

I understand where you are coming from with fender heights (which was indeed his original question). Those can change quite drastically with just a little different tire pressure, if the vehicle is not perfectly level, if there is different amount of weight in the vehicle, depending on what factory springs it has etc. etc. yada yada.

But to answer the guys original question.... it will be 2” lower than what it would have been before. Regardless of his tire pressure, the barometric pressure, if the humidity is at 73%, or if Uncle Bill is in the 3rd row with his 2 girlfriends. It is gonna be 2” lower... in the front... with a 2” drop spindle.

A better way to originally answer the question would be to state that almost no “two of the same” vehicles will have exactly the same fenders height, so your height will vary. But it will be 2” lower than what your particular height is BEFORE the 2” drop spindle is installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz