Front end travel question.. idea...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much travel can you get out of a stock front end....

let me clarify.. if the torsion bar , wheels and shock was removed how high OVER stock could you get.

and in the same situation how far UNDER could you get.

Could you do a 6 inch lift.. with shit ride quality if need be.. on stock front suspension WITH a 2 inch drop spindle?

Britt and i were just talking and thought it would be neat to do 28s since it would look cool lowered OR lifted.. and setting it up to lay running board but being able to lift it all the way to what would look like a lifted truck (i figured at least 6 inches)

If you figure im 9 under stock now (2" over running board on 24s) id need at least a foot down to do it on 8s... so 18-20 inches of travel would do it...

do a 24 inch hydraulic ram in the back and stretch the trailing arms 2 inches

the back would be easy...

But what about the front?

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

for the record.. im NOT going to do 28s.. im sticking with my intros.. but i was just tossing the idea around..

fatnlowtahoe504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe a little bit over stock height if you have the factory spindles, but if you go any higher with the front end your going to get positive camber and that will just look dumb driving...

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

sorry just read you had aftermarket drop spindles, i dont think your going to get that much lift out of it with the drop spindles, you can put the 28s with rubberbands and turn ok just wont get much lift and you will have positive camber in the front, what bags do you have in the front?

OP
OP
MOBmentality

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe a little bit over stock height if you have the factory spindles, but if you go any higher with the front end your going to get positive camber and that will just look dumb driving...

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

sorry just read you had aftermarket drop spindles, i dont think your going to get that much lift out of it with the drop spindles, you can put the 28s with rubberbands and turn ok just wont get much lift and you will have positive camber in the front, what bags do you have in the front?

noooooo im not gonna do this.. we were just batting around the idea..

like i said im still gonna do my 24x15s but i just thought it would be neat to see a truck with a 6 inch lift on 28s.. park.. and drop all the way to the running boards.

The front end suspension setup would have to be something new.. even tripple bellows will only get you like a foot.. so you would have to run some sort of hydraulic ram.. maybe mounted to some kinda cantilever

OP
OP
MOBmentality

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so anyone? whats the biggest lift you can do on a stock front end.. forget alignment..

ItsAdam1

Master Fabricator
Reaction score
you can run some 8" bags up front to get more lift as well.... As far a lift numbers I don't know. But I know guys with bagged & bodied truck can untuck up front if needed

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya you would never be able to get that much movement from the front end...here is my last truck fully lifted and lowered with drop spindles..it was set up to get the most possible travel...when i layed frame, the bag was completely bottomed out..not really any way to do what you are wanting unless you had a straight axle like stated...then you run into other problems..theres a limit on suspension travel...

now an idea i always thought of..put the body on bags like a semi..then you can drop the body down over the wheels more then you could with just suspension

full lift at 200 psi, bag fully expanded and everything was clearanced to not hit
CIMG3772.jpg
CIMG3773.jpg
CIMG3776.jpg

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
ya you would never be able to get that much movement from the front end...here is my last truck fully lifted and lowered with drop spindles..it was set up to get the most possible travel...when i layed frame, the bag was completely bottomed out..not really any way to do what you are wanting unless you had a straight axle like stated...then you run into other problems..theres a limit on suspension travel...

now an idea i always thought of..put the body on bags like a semi..then you can drop the body down over the wheels more then you could with just suspension

full lift at 200 psi, bag fully expanded and everything was clearanced to not hit
CIMG3772.jpg
CIMG3773.jpg
CIMG3776.jpg

sick truck. why did u get rid of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts